BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM NEW LOOK ODDITIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Bay had six 1982 T8H5307As, #821-826. I can't find them in the production list, so they may be second-hand. They were retired in 2011.[/quote]
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen sometime in the seventies at its company shops and enjoying a 'minor' tuneup is fleet # 201 - a first generation GM New Look (model no longer discernible) operating for the Greater Portland Transit District (GPTD) of Portland, Maine.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me # 201 appears to have been shortened as evidenced by the passenger window configuration in which the forward most and aft most sashes do have slight angles while those surrounding what would have been an emergency door glass are almost vertical - in either case, nothing comes close to the standard New Look window patterns.

Also in evidence is the unusual aft most standee glass and the lack of the Art Deco ribbed plate normally attached forward of the rear marker light.

Obviously, this bus is in the process of major alterations and was towed to the premises as marked by the towing lights to either side of the A/C condenser cabinet.

The GPTD was created in 1966 to replace a number of failing private operators including Portland Coach Company which was partially owned by the principals of Queens/Nassau Transit and Steinway Omnibus.

Photo courtesy of '90mac' and is available at eBay as item # 111357601984.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

frankie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Unless my eyes are deceiving me # 201 appears to have been shortened as evidenced by the passenger window configuration in which the forward most and aft most sashes do have slight angles while those surrounding what would have been an emergency door glass are almost vertical - in either case, nothing comes close to the standard New Look window patterns.

I don't think this bus was shortened. Parallelograms can look deceptive when viewed from an angle as in the case here. Note the change of thickness from top to bottom of the window posts on each side of the square emergency door window. Also if this bus was shortened, the number of standee outer panels would not number 7 as seen here. 35 footers have 6 panels.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time for an object lesson here in that two people can look at the same image and interpret it entirely differently.

As a perfect example I spotlighted Charleston Transit Company # 117 seen below some time ago pointing to the fact that it was the first ever Old Look to be delivered, that it had unusual factory installed window screens and, in passing, I also noted that the right rear tire was flat.

I received more than one reply saying that the tire was not flat proving my point - I still see it flat and will always see it that way.

In my most recent New Look oddity (Greater Portland # 102) seen above and again below I noted that the passenger windows seemed to be altered due to a shortening of the bus to which my esteemed and learned colleague Frankie replied that they were not and gave a very logical explanation as to his interpretation.

I have many photos of GM New Looks taken at the exact angle and, in all, the standard factory sashes are not in any way distorted but, here again, two pairs of eyes see the same thing differently - we could both be right and we could both be wrong - in any event I still think I'm right.

Charleston photo courtesy of The Motor Bus Society.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing at rest at what was probably a company yard at one of New York's three major airports sometime in June of 1978 is fleet #19 - a GM New Look Coach of at least the model's third generation operating as an Air Line Connection Bus for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

It was an era in which the company bought most of their equipment used and usually from local sources such as Triboro Coach and Queens/Nassau Transit Lines.

However, #19 was found elsewhere as evidenced by its bi-fold rear door and an unusually patterned sightseeing roof for which airline passengers would have had little interest in.

Also of note is the missing GMC badge under the windshield which might be a clue as to origin and the New York 'BUS' license plate in place of an 'OFFICIAL' tag that all political subdivisions were entitled to.

#19 is signed 'PRESS' which might mean that it sometimes carried journalists to airport related events although that's just a supposition.

Photo by 'ttcbeat' and is available at eBay as item # 191198182079.

Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Port bought the buses and had some one run them. It was Airways then Hudson General (a ground service company) then Caravan (the school bus company) At Newark Olympia trails ran the RTSs. The port had the port authority of ny and nj on them. At Newark Olympia was listed as the operator. The RTS had a regular inspection sticker on them at jfk and lag no dot inspection. The reason was that the buses never left the airport so the ports rules applied.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim wrote:
The Port bought the buses and had some one run them. It was Airways then Hudson General (a ground service company) then Caravan (the school bus company) At Newark Olympia trails ran the RTSs. The port had the port authority of ny and nj on them. At Newark Olympia was listed as the operator. The RTS had a regular inspection sticker on them at jfk and lag no dot inspection. The reason was that the buses never left the airport so the ports rules applied.

Tiny Tim,

I think that I may understand what happened with the licensing of the PONYA's buses;

Here in Southern California some of LACMTA buses are operated by contractors such as MV and Veolia Transportation but the equipment is owned by the county and, as such, carry 'EXEMPT' plates (the equivalent of 'OFFICIAL' in New York).

In the case of the PONYA buses in New York they may have been leased to the contractors outright in which case the contractors would be responsible for their registration and insurance and would not be entitled to special plates (this method, which was also used in demos from manufacturer's to New York operators, relieved owners of any liability during the rental period).

Thanks for your input and many regards,

Mr. 'L'
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this oddity was ever brought up especially in our own back yard of NYC, perhaps Mr. L can acknowledge it.

This posting could have easily been included in the New York City Bus category, so it was a matter of flipping a token.

What's odd about the two buses below are the lack of trim and nameplates between the headlights. Based on my research including hundreds of photos from various sources, it seems that all new look NYCTA buses purchased from and including 1966 were ordered without these features in order to use the space more effectively for advertizing. These include the last two orders of 1966 TDM-5303's (8001-8202 & 8301-8780) up through the special order 5309's and 5310's.

The photo of 8035 shows the anchors in place for the advertizing frame. (Photo credit from the Bus Talk site). The bottom photo is 6941, a T6H-5310A when new and posed at the Battery. (Photo credit to Joe Caronetti for educational purposes only)

Frankie

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="frankie"]I'm not sure if this oddity was ever brought up especially in our own back yard of NYC, perhaps Mr. L can acknowledge it.

This posting could have easily been included in the New York City Bus category, so it was a matter of flipping a token.

What's odd about the two buses below are the lack of trim and nameplates between the headlights. Based on my research including hundreds of photos from various sources, it seems that all new look NYCTA buses purchased from and including 1966 were ordered without these features in order to use the space more effectively for advertizing. These include the last two orders of 1966 TDM-5303's (8001-8202 & 8301-8780) up through the special order 5309's and 5310's.

The photo of 8035 shows the anchors in place for the advertizing frame. (Photo credit from the Bus Talk site). The bottom photo is 6941, a T6H-5310A when new and posed at the Battery.

Frankie

Frankie,

It's certainly an oddity that I have not seen before merely because virtually every city New Look that we do see has the placard frame in place between the headlights.

In a way, it killed two birds with one stone in eliminating the driver's side floor vent which always leaked cold air in the winter.

Nice find.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Hankg42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that 6941 also has one of those odd right side mirrors in front of the door.
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hankg42 wrote:
Note that 6941 also has one of those odd right side mirrors in front of the door.
Triboro also had them. When they went over to Green Bus the drivers hated them. One driver I knew in the rockaway yard said the were useless.
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were those mirrors built in a way that would perhaps minimize injury if they happened to strike a pedestrian standing at the curb?
frankie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Were those mirrors built in a way that would perhaps minimize injury if they happened to strike a pedestrian standing at the curb?

I would think that if those mirrors struck a person, that person was standing too close to the curb - very close. I serious doubt that this is the case. Common sense usually prevails. No different than standing at a safe distance while waiting for a train.

Frankie
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QTC has those folding convex mirrors on some of their New Look, too. I always thought these might have been installed to avoid breakage due to accidental contact between larger mirrors and some low-hanging curbside obstacles, such as tree limbs, etc.
JimmiB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I banged those mirrors off of several curb side traffic signs and never broke any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: