BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"FIELD OF DREAMS" (Lost New York)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Yet ANOTHER winner!!!!! Very Happy

WOW!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

I clearly remember INTER-CITY's ACF-BRILLS ("The Brown Bus With The Orange Band") sporting similiar "pompadours" above their desination signs, back in the 60's.

I was also surprised to see another comany using a "B" ahead of the number; this was a decades-old, time-honored tradition on the NHBL and SHBL buses I grew up with.

The last time I rode on an ACF-BRILL was on De Camp's old #22 out of JSQ, back in the 60's......it's been TOO long!

Thanks again! Very Happy

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TRIBORO NOSTALGIA" (my kingdom for a Wayback Machine!) Rolling Eyes

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1312

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1315

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1323

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1328

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe every caption to every picture. The caption to the third TCC picture says its coming out of the 82nd st. Deport. WRONG! It is coming out of the Victor Moore Arcade on Roosevelt/74th Street/ Broadway. Also no mention of the Old Look parked at the curb.
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your description of that air scoop, Mr. L.
A lot of bus historians like the aesthetics of ACF Brill postwar parlor buses like the IC41, but the ACF Brill transit bus styling always struck me as somewhat "awkward".
Maybe it's just because ACF Brills were so rarely seen in NYC, where GM's and Macks ran the streets most of the time.
I personally think the Thermomatic roof vents on GM Old Looks had great visual appeal: Larry Plachno (National Bus Trader) had described it as "an addition to an otherwise 'bald head' "
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
A lot of bus historians like the aesthetics of ACF Brill postwar parlor buses like the IC41, but the ACF Brill transit bus styling always struck me as somewhat "awkward".
Maybe it's just because ACF Brills were so rarely seen in NYC, where GM's and Macks ran the streets most of the time.
I personally think the Thermomatic roof vents on GM Old Looks had great visual appeal: Larry Plachno (National Bus Trader) had described it as "an addition to an otherwise 'bald head' "

Q65A:

Being from NJ, the Brills I was most familiar with were those running on INTER-CITY's 97 (Jersey City-Paterson), and those serving DE CAMP's #22 (Jersey City-Caldwell)

When passing through the Lincoln Tunnel, I used to see the Brills of SOMERSET.

Other than these, the companies in my general area relied strongly on Old Looks, although there were also a number of WHITES and MACKS, through much of the 1960's.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Don't believe every caption to every picture. The caption to the third TCC picture says its coming out of the 82nd st. Deport. WRONG! It is coming out of the Victor Moore Arcade on Roosevelt/74th Street/ Broadway. Also no mention of the Old Look parked at the curb.

Hart Bus:

You would think that, when so much effort is put into putting together photo archives on vintage transit vehicles, more care would be given to making sure photo locations, vehicle types, etc. were accurate (or, at least, as accurate as possible)

Such misinformartion can be quite misleading, especially for "out of towners" such as myself.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

Several photos of the ACF-BRILL C-44's seen in 1949's "A LETTER TO THREE WIVES" (note the "pompadours").......

(courtesy imcdb.org)

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_394467-aCF-Brill-C-44.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "MOTOR COACH AGE":

DE CAMP purchased seven ACF-BRILL C-44 suburbans in 1947, and ten more with hydraulic shift in 1950.

These were the last gas buses purchased new by DE CAMP.

In 1953, DE CAMP added 17 more ACF-BRILLS to its roster (along with a number of WHITES) from ATLANTIC TRANSPORTATION COMPANY (Route #32/NUTLEY-NEW YORK, and #31/LITTLE FALLS-NEW YORK)

These BRILLS had the distinctive "pompadours" over the destination signs.

A single C-44 (#171, w/rear doors) operated on Vanderhoof's #144, between Newark and Caldwell; this bus was purchased new in 1949.

From: "BUSES OF ACF", by William A. Luke: In November of 1947, PS purchased C-44's; these buses were indeed an ultra-minority, in a GM-dominated fleet......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidenote on the BRILLS:

Even though they were commonplace in my general with two companies (DE CAMP and INTER-CITY), ACF-BRILLS were very much in the minority.

Even WHITES and MACKS were more commonplace.

MOHAWK COACH LINES operated ACF "Pompadour" BRILLS out of the PABT many years ago; among the destinations served by this company were Haverstraw, Beacon, and Poughkeepsie.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On page #117 of "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (by Guy E. Martin), there is a photo an ACF "Pompadour" BRILL that was operated by QUEENS-NASSAU TRANSIT.

According to the photo caption, the company owned 15 C-44s (w/rear doors)........

"NYO"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:

Bob,

Interesting that you should mention 'bald headed' Old Looks!

In 1952 when I worked the summer as a file clerk at Green's newly opened Rockaway Boulevard garage it happened that the company was updating their 4506's by adding GM badges and stainless wings under the windshields as well as brighter directional signals but no dummy ThermoMatic intakes over the destination signs which I thought would really add a nice touch as the real ones did on later Old Looks - of course, on Green's 4506's the ugliness was tempered somewhat by the three center Michigan Markers.

I suggested to the head of the body shop that the dummy vent wouldn't be a bad idea and I just got a funny look!

To demonstrate what a 4506 can really look like when all gussied up see Triboro # 1126 below - this was certainly a case of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

I say that because #1126 came to the company in 1959 as ex Surface Transportation #1104 - can you picture what that bus must have looked like?!

Short of installing a real ThermoMatic system, they had to leave the motor nests on the roof but otherwise Triboro's mechanics did a magnificent job!

Photo courtesy of 'iconpix'.

Regards to you and the family,

Mr. 'L'

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO: What did you do? Run out of photos? I was really enjoying this thread especially your witty and informative comments.

Nevertheless, job well done.

Thanks for a great run.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
NYO: What did you do? Run out of photos? I was really enjoying this thread especially your witty and informative comments.

Nevertheless, job well done.

Thanks for a great run.

Frankie

Frankie,

Not to worry - NYO will return hopefully.

This happens with him once in a while when the taking care of his frail mother's vital needs becomes paramount to him.

Let's hope everything is O.K. and he'll be back soon - I miss him too!

In the meantime we should help to keep the thread going where we can.

Regards,

Mr. ;L;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27

Jump to: