BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orion II - Any interest in a book?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTS_04

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Orion II - Any interest in a book? Reply with quote

Given the hell I've just endured trying to author something on the RTS, I don't know why I'm even inclined to do this - but I'm thinking of piecing together a history of the Orion II for book form.

I'm not sure it'd be as long as the RTS piece or "Welcome Aboard the New Look Coach," but I'd like it to be as comprehensive as it possibly can be.

Why this thing? Dunno. Just that I always thought it was a quirky, interesting vehicle and the fact that I see many of them being retired means it possibly

Please note - I DON'T have a timeframe for this project yet (another lesson learned); I'm just starting to play with the idea.

That being said, would...

1. ...you be interested in an Orion II history book?

2. ...anyone be willing to contribute images (either slide film, print film or high-res digital shots) to the project?

-Evan
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few Orion II images.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there would be much of a market for a book only on the Orion II. What about a book covering the history of light-duty transit buses, like the Orion II, Flxette, Carpenter, Skillcraft, ElDorado, etc.?
RTS_04

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
I don't think there would be much of a market for a book only on the Orion II. What about a book covering the history of light-duty transit buses, like the Orion II, Flxette, Carpenter, Skillcraft, ElDorado, etc.?

That'd be another approach, but I like being able to focus on one bus in order to go through the engineering and design in relative detail.

Love or hate the O2s, they were some of the first LF buses really to hit the market in North America. I think the demos came out in '84; that was what, 5 years after UMTA and most American bus builders claimed LF was impossible (death of Transbus)?

I also think it's important to try to work with an organization that's still in business. I found it nearly impossible to work with MTS for information on their project; if I'm lucky, I'll get a sympathetic ear at Orion and go from there.

I think trying to get much on Flxettes or Skillcrafts is simply a bit too much. Lord knows it was a pain trying to get some images from 30 years ago for the RTS piece.

Interestingly (but perhaps not surprising), there seems to be a bigger response for this pursuit from the folks at CPTDB than here.

Like I say - I'll work on compiling stuff, see what response I get from Daimler/Orion PR staffers, and see what the result is.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS_04 wrote:
Interestingly (but perhaps not surprising), there seems to be a bigger response for this pursuit from the folks at CPTDB than here.

That isn't surprising, and I probably am underestimating the interest north of the border. They're generally derided as oddballs in the U.S., but I'm sure they're more commonplace (and, therefore, popular) in Canada.

Interestingly, some Orion IIs also ended up in Sweden and Norway.
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is absolutley terrific that there are more and more bus books in preparation or on the market.
I also think that Evan deserves a round of applause for taking the point on this matter.
That said, I personally would prefer to see a history of all Orion buses (as well as individual volumes for both New Flyer and Gillig), in much the same fashion as the books that already have been published for Flxible, GM, Twin, Mack, and ACF-Brill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: