BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greyhound Lines Centennial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Greyhound Lines Centennial Reply with quote

1914 is the year that Greyhound considers its beginning, although some of its predecessor components go back further, to the stage coach era. And its incorporation actually began in 1926....
But they are celebrating 2014 as its centennial ("America's Bus Line for 100 Years....")

As part of this celebration, their beautifully restored historic fleet is touring the country for various celebrations.....
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver,

I thought this to be a good follow up to your post.

'HAPPY ONE HUNDREDTH GREYHOUND'

Today marks the 100th anniversary of Greyhound Bus Lines.

On this date in 1914, Swedish immigrant Carl Wickman began transporting iron ore miners between Hibbing and Alice MN for 15 cents a ride using a Hupmobile touring car. This one line gradually expanded into the nationwide network that became Greyhound Corporation.

Of course, no other operator had such a profound influence on bus design as did Greyhound, which became GM's biggest customer for parlor coaches between the mid 30's and the late 60's.

Seen below at the company's museum in Hibbing Minnesota is the 1914 Hupmobile Model 32 4 cylinder that started the whole thing.

Thanks to Gerald Levy of GMOldLookBus for the info.
Photo courtesy of the Greyhound Museum

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Mr. 'L'!
I second that! Hope they are still around to celebrate their bicentennial, in a hundred years! Smile
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a more detailed timeline style history of GL

http://greyhoundhistory.com/

Unfortunately, there seems to be some problem, as there is a large banner covering the top that erroneously says my browser it out of date (I use Internet Explorer 9). When I click on their provided link to download an updated version, IE tells me I have the latest one....

I don't know if the same problem occurs on the other browser's, but I can still peruse most of the interesting site, occasionally refreshing to improve photo downloads....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: