BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Grey Lady" (PSNJ) in New York/Newark ASV's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modern, dual-powered articulated trolley buses in use on Boston's SILVER LINE are descendents of PSNJ's gas-electric ASV's......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?37341

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?37347

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two views (1970 and 2003) of the underground Harvard Square trolley bus platform; these scenes are reminiscent of the days when PSNJ ASV's utilized the Cedar St. Subway in Newark to reach the lower level of the PS terminal.......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?127176

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?109767

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ASV concept overseas......

http://www.chinabuses.org/spotlight/Youngman2012/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-mode_bus
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
GREYHOUND sign at Penn Station, Newark, partially obscured by modern, unispired City Subway sign..................

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?20470

(courtesy of nycsubway.org)

Greyhound, since it (Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines), was owned for quite some time by the PRR, utilized many PRR stations where both carrier's provided service. The old Broad Street Station in Philly was a good example. And the later, the underground Penn Center terminal as well.
Also Greyhound affiliates shared GL terminal's as tenants. One example being the old "Edwards Lakes-To-Sea System", at Newark Penn Station.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Great stuff!
Thanks to both NYO and Mr. 'L' , for all the great info...
I recall the old Public Service Terminal in Newark....besides PS, Continental Trailways (Safeway Trails and American Buslines) were tenant operatior's from that terminal....there may have been some other's as well, before it closed down.

Beside's the D900, was there ever a GMC 'New Look' ASV type experimental?
I recall there were some 'New Look' trolley's
but not sure if any hybrid's...

traildriver:

You are most welcome!

Being a lifelong "Jersey Boy" you can bet I have many great memories of PSNJ; and, of course, our good friend Mr. "L" is always at the ready to share still more historical trivia and photos with us here.

You are correct, of course; there were "New Look"/Fishbowl trolley buses, but, as far as I know, these did not have dual-power provisions, like the ASV.

You reminded me of the Fishbowl rail bus experiments many years ago; these interest experimental runs operated at the Branford (Shore Line) Trolley Museum, and also, on the Red Arrow.

Imagine such coaches operating on the Newark Subway, switching from rail to rubber as they left the subway to operate on a street route?

Regarding the old PS terminal in Newark, it was once known as the "Eighth Wonder Of The Traction World"; in later years, it was serving trolleys, ASV's, and motor buses.

Incidently, GREYHOUND still calls at Newark's Penn Station........

"NYO"

Another Trailways carrier that used to stop at the Public Service Terminal in Newark was the Frank Martz Coach Co., on its way to/from Wilkes- Barre and Scranton.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Yes, I have several old MARTZ timetables (1950's/early 60's) that list the PS terminal as a stop; a 1959 TT also lists the PS terminal at Journal Square, Jersey City, as a stop)

The older ones list the PSNJ terminal at Newark as a MARTZ stop; the newest one I have listing Newark (1979), has 1171 Raymond Boulevard as the stop.

Recall, too, long ago, MARTZ also served such far-flung cities as Buffalo, Detroit, and Chicago.

By this late date, the old PS terminal was on its way into oblivion; in fact, a few OOS City Subway PCC cars, stored in the old Cedar St. connector, were badly damaged when demolition crews broke through the tunnel roof.

The cars, unfortunately, were scrapped on the spot.

About this time, ASV service in Newark was just a distant memory, with the dual-powered buses being gone then for about 30 years.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a mid-1950's view of another PSNJ facilty that is long gone, and another I remember from when I was quite young.

This was PS's Exchange Place terminal (Jersey City); trolleys served this long-established terminal until 1949; at the time of this photo, the PRR's old Exchange Place ferry terminal (itself gone since the 1960's) was located just across the street.

Ferry service to Cortlandt St., Manhattan ended in December of 1949; the last trains departed in November of 1961.

The PS bus on the right is signed for the #14, yet another of PS's routes that connected to Newark.

The #16, at center, was an old line I knew well growing up; it (like the long-gone #17, which terminated at the DL&W/E-L terminal in Hoboken) stopped just up the block from our old apartment in Union City, back in the 60's.

Indeed.....it was another time.....another place.....another world....all that is left are photos and memories.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4233

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Yes, I have several old MARTZ timetables (1950's/early 60's) that list the PS terminal as a stop; a 1959 TT also lists the PS terminal at Journal Square, Jersey City, as a stop)

The older ones list the PSNJ terminal at Newark as a MARTZ stop; the newest one I have listing Newark (1979), has 1171 Raymond Boulevard as the stop.

Recall, too, long ago, MARTZ also served such far-flung cities as Buffalo, Detroit, and Chicago.

By this late date, the old PS terminal was on its way into oblivion; in fact, a few OOS City Subway PCC cars, stored in the old Cedar St. connector, were badly damaged when demolition crews broke through the tunnel roof.

The cars, unfortunately, were scrapped on the spot.

About this time, ASV service in Newark was just a distant memory, with the dual-powered buses being gone then for about 30 years.....

"NYO"

Martz only ran those routes to Buffalo, Detroit, and Chicago for a brief period in the early 1930's...they gave them up.
Incidentally, in around the same period, they also operated airline service in the same area. Those routes were sold after a year or two to AA.

Unfortunately, Martz no longer runs any of their schedules thru Newark. I suppose the meager traffic they handled in later years did not warrant it. So now passengers have to come into NYC, or take some convoluted route with several transfers on other carrier's to get to Martz 'territory'...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

By the late 60's/early 70's, in the years following the violent Newark riots, a number of bus lines/routes began to be cut, as many former riders no longer opted for dowtown Newark for shopping, theatre, etc.

DE CAMP found that, by this time, Newark had been virtually eliminated as a destination for office workers, shoppers, and theatre-goers.

Accordingly, Routes #145 and #146 were reduced to operating at two-hour intervals, except during rush hours.

SOMERSET, also, had routes that started/terminated in downtown Newark; they, too, saw the handwriting on the wall.

With the PS terminal closed to all buses, all runs originated/terminated at Penn Station (back in the 70's, there were still old stairways at each platform, leading to sealed-off doors, which, in turn, led to a passageway that connected the main area of Penn Station to the PS bus lanes)

TRACKLESS TRANSIT's old #144 (MOUNTAIN COACHES) also called here (I used this line twice daily during my senior year of high school, 1974/1975, as part of my commute)

So much has changed.......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: