BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'IDLEWILD AIRPORT IN THE BEGINNING'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Idlewild. Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
traildriver wrote:
Robert Carroll wrote:
The Idlewild {JFK} airport was to be the largest in the world at that time.One day in the mid 40"s I took the Q6 to the end of then line at Lombard Street.I looked west down the block and saw mounds of fill.If you looked many years later your eyes would see the TWA,now Jet Blue terminal.Has anyone fixed the location of the original arrivals terminal vs the current layout?

If you mean the International Arrivals Building...that site is now the locale of 'Terminal Four'.....

If you mean the first terminal, that Mr. 'L' posted above...I am not sure, but believe it is probably somewhere in the cargo area on the North side of the airport....

traildriver,

The original terminal that I posted sat almost exactly or very roughly somewhere between where the TWA 'bird' and the once Eastern Airlines glass house now sit pretty much at dead center of the property.

When I drove Green Line's Richmond Hill Circle/Airport Q10 run, we had two stops on the property with the first being the Federal Building just at the entrance off Van Wyck extension and the one terminal that you see in the GM/Green Line ad above.

Attached is a mid sixties photo showing the expansion progress - notice the Quonset Huts still in use along with the second generation control tower (upper left corner)

Photo courtesy of 'carlem' and is available at eBay as item # 380872112727.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Thanks again for all your input, Mr. "L'.....
For some reason I was under the misconception that the temporary terminal was located somewhere near the site of the old North Passenger Terminal at 150th Street, that I believe was used mainly by so-called "Supplemental Air Carrier's", or more derogatively, "non-skeds", or "charter airlines.....
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Another blast from Idlewild's past!

Taken in 1948, we see the formal inauguration of the first trans continental service from Idlewild Airport with dignitaries whom I do not recognize but certainly important to the occasion.

The plane, a double decked Boeing Stratocruiser modeled as a 377-10-29 and one of eight delivered to then American Overseas Airlines, featured round windows for the main cabin and rectangular sashes for the lower section as well as an aft galley.

American's Stratocruiser fleet was merged into Pan Am the year after their delivery.

The Boeing 377 Stratocruiser was a large long-range airliner built after World War II and developed from the C-97 Stratofreighter, a military derivative of the B-29 Superfortress used for troop transport. The Stratocruiser's first flight was on July 8, 1947.[2]

Put into production in the late 1940s, the aircraft had four radial engines mounted in a tractor configuration. It had two decks and a pressurized cabin, a relatively new feature to transport aircraft.

The Stratocruiser was more expensive to buy and operate than the competing Douglas DC-6 or Lockheed Constellation and had a mediocre reliability record chiefly due to chronic problems with the 28-cylinder Pratt & Whitney Wasp Major radial engines and their four-blade propellers - Only 55 of the model were built for commercial service.

Photo courtesy of 'bk.sales' and is available at eBay as item #390567416065.
Information thanks to Wikipedia.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

AA acquired the former American Export Airlines from the ship line in 1945 and operated it as American Overseas Airlines for five years, until selling it to Pan Am.... It would not fly JFK LHR again for forty years, until it acquired that particular route from TWA in 1990, ten years before buying the rest of TWA....

United bought the LHR JFK routes from Pan AM, while Delta got most of the rest of Pan Ams Atlantic routes. (UA had bought most of Pan Ams Pacific division). UA and AA had a duopoly on American rights on that lucrative route until the open skies agreement of 2008 opened it to others...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: American Overseas. Reply with quote

Robert Carroll wrote:
Flew AO,s DC6 to Oakland from LGA in 1955. It was the return leg of non-sched.North American we took for leave after finishing ET school at Treasure Island.First time on a DC6 which seemed to be a flying pencil.vs many years later flying the Lockheed Constelation which looked like it would fly without motors,the design was so perfect. Douglas,DC 3 made history for its safety and performance.Some years later I was able catch one of the few left flying out of Windsor Locks,CT. to LGA,it was a thrill.

Got my only flight on a DC-3 on Provincetown and Boston's, N136PB, which happened to be the all-time, high time (flight hours), commercial aircraft when I flew her in the '80's from Hyannis to Boston. Love it!
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
My first flight was to Detroit from LGA in 1958 on a Capital Airlines Viscount which was propelled by Rolls Royce engines which gave me a great degree of confidence when I looked out the window to see the RR logo on the engine cowl - the Viscount was a Turbo Prop similar to Lockheed's Electra.

My trip included invited visits to both the Cadillac factory in Detroit itself and Truck and Coach in Pontiac and if memory serves me I took a Great Lakes Greyhound 5105 from downtown Detroit to Pontiac.

My second airplane trip was even more interesting in 1959 when I flew from LGA to Los Angeles overnight in a TWA Super Constellation with stops in Pittsburgh, Chicago and Las Vegas (total 14 hours).

That sojourn was made even more interesting because for an additional $50 I was able to change my home bound equipment to a Boeing 707 so I guess I became a Jet Setter very early on!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

My first airline flight was in 1966, on a Braniff 707, from JFK to San Antonio, Tx., with a stop at Dallas Love Field enroute, for USAF basic training. There was a major airline strike that summer, so on completion of basic training, they chartered a "Modern Air Transport" DC6 or 7 (not sure which), and flew us from San Antonio airport right into Chanute AFB, at Rantoul, Illinois for our tech school training. Quite a difference between the two, for sure...... Wink

I took a tour of the GM Truck and Coach plant at Pontiac in 1968. By that time, EGL had gotten rid of the suburban buses they used for commuter service out of Detroit, except they did have a dedicated fleet of radio equipped MC-5's they used on an Airporter service. I rode a thru local Greyhound enroute to Flint, to reach Pontiac.

I had a great tour of the facility, took many photos's. At the conclusion of the private tour, I was thanking the tour guide, and about to walk out the door, when he called me back. He said to please leave the camera in his office, and told me to follow him down some corridor. We came to a locked door which he opened, leading into a dark room. He went over to a panel, and threw some swithches, and suddenly, dramatically right in from of me in all her gleaning glory, was the prototype RTX !!!
He allowed me to look all over it, but seemed a bit type-lipped about any info, and then the tour was over for real, and I left with a very happy memory....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: