BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about NJ Transit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmnewlook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Question about NJ Transit Reply with quote

I have a question for you guys. My wife and I are thinking of going to NYC in the summer of 2015 with the Amtrak Adirondack (Montreal-NYC). So for me a trip to New York wouldn't be complete without me doing some transit photos, and my wife is very well aware of that.

By doing some research, I found out that NJ Transit serves the George Washington Bridge and Port Authority bus terminals. My question is this:

Does NJ Transit run MCIs only to these two terminals or is there a chance I might get to see some other models? What I want to do is place myself near where the buses exit the terminals (they are both interior terminals, right?) to take my photos. That way I'm not impeding the clientele of the terminals and risk getting into trouble with the authorities.

Thanks. Smile
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others will probably give better answers than I. First of all, I'd forget about the George Washington Bridge Terminal. Buses enter and leave the busier upper platforms directly to/from the bridge.
Even at PABT most of the arrivals and departures are directly to/from the Lincoln Tunnels. The #1 handy spot (Ninth Avenue and 41st Street) is mostly other bus companies exiting the lower level onto the city street.
---
Maybe I am too wary, but the Port Authority police have been known to hassle photographers who are not standing on PA property but are photographing something with a PA structure in the background! For a variety of NJT buses, I would tend to walk around Union City, near Bergenline Avenue and 31st Street and take photos of buses on local streets. Loitering with a camera in or near PABT invites trouble from police officers, drifters, and chatty con men or women.
---
I recall an incident about a year ago. In the late daylight rush hour, I rode NJT into Manhattan. Westbound traffic took two tubes. We entered the south tube and were directed so far south that we returned north on Tenth Avenue from about 30th Street, joining a long, slow line of buses queuing for the upper levels at PABT. I bailed out at 34th Street. However, that incident suggests to me that such a tie-up could offer photo ops a few blocks away from PABT. Those buses were facing north, away from the sun, but rush hour and horrible traffic west and southwest of PABT might be a great display of bus types amid air pollution.
Best wishes.
Joe McMahon
gmnewlook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe for the input. So, I'll scratch GWB from my plan. No problem. As for the PA terminal, if I can get a good sample around the terminal, it's a good thing. Although the other bus companies interest me too. I'm pretty sure just walking around that area, there would be plenty to photograph.

As for Union City, is there something of interest to visit, like a museum or a historical place? I need to find an excuse to give to my wife if I want to go snap pics there, lol. Laughing Unless there's a reasonably priced hotel a few blocks away. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: