BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PBL Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: PBL Question Reply with quote

I wanna start my own transit bus company called Hennessey Lines, Inc. do you think the MTA, or MTA bus will try to knock me outta business ?
Q101viaSteinway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ,so long you use your own money and do not need help from the DOT financially (just like Private Transportation).
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Don of All Buses (except mine - only kidding),

I have an idea that anyone who thinks about starting their own bus line better think twice what with insurances, franchises, the Public Service and Utility Commissions etc.

I mean, if the 'big boys' couldn't make it this economy what real chance have you got?

The only opportunity that I can see is if you become a contractor to an authority such as we have here in Los Angeles - but their rules for operation are stringent and you better have good backing!

Charter might be the only other area where you could have half a chance, but even there you will come under scutiny by every authority in which you operate.

Interestingly, this whole 'MTA' concept across the country may someday revert back to private operators - maybe you ought to take a 'wait and see' attitude at this time.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are obviously laws in New York State that regulate who can operate on which route - otherwise, nothing would stop someone from driving along a transit authority's most lucrative routes and poach their passengers with a lower fare.

Getting authorization to operate on a route is just the beginning. The high cost of insurance alone is probably enough to discourage most potential bus owners unless they have very deep pockets. Drivers are another issue - good drivers are hard to come by, so you would need to offer a decent salary and benefits to convince them to leave their present employer and join your company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: