BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TWO OLD MACKS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: TWO OLD MACKS Reply with quote

All:

Any idea of the photo location seen here in this classic 1950's scene?

Also, what routes were these buses operating on?

IMHO, I think this might have been a "posed" shot, as the men behind the wheels of the two buses look quite "casual", in lieu of the unforms then standard (perhaps, these were bus fans, in "good standing" with the drivers?)

Again, bieng no expert, I can just as easily be wrong.

Appreciate any input.....

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1598

(courtesy of bus.nycsubway.org)
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely the Manhattan end of the Williamsburg Bridge. It looks like the buses are posed just south of the bridge on Grand St. just up from FDR Dr. The area today are now occupied by highrise housing. The distant smokestack (above and just to the right of the emergency door) is part of the Domino Sugar Refinery just north of the bridge on Kent Avenue & South 2nd on the Brooklyn side.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629,

As to the location of your two old Macks (pictured below); Frankie was right on the money.

As to what line they were running; the M-1 would be the correct answer with service between the old Pavonia Ferry slip at Chambers and West Streets on the west side and Delancey and East Streets on the east side which is right at the Williamsburg Bridge.

The M-1, which travels back and forth via Chambers and Madison Streets, was originally operated by Green Bus Lines which was succeeded by the Comprehensive Omnibus Corporation in 1935 which was succeeded by the City of New York Board of Transportation in 1948.

I would speculate that the drivers of the buses were merely chewing the fat between between runs.

BTW; the photo was taken by my very dear friend the late Don Weiss (MHSRIP) of the Motor Bus Society.

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Greatly appreciate your responses and input; yes, this classic scene was "indeed the way it was", back in the day!

Incidently, the old Pavonia Ferry (ERIE) slips at Chambers Street were abandoned in December of 1958, after the ERIE discontinued all ferry service from the old Pavonia Avenue rail terminal at Jersey City (the ERIE, through 1957 and 1958, was consolidating its trains with those of the DL&W at Hoboken, abandoning the ramshackle old Jersey City depot)

The ERIE and the DL&W merged into the ERIE-LACKAWANNA in October of 1960.

This was a railroad I knew on an intimate basis when I was growing up, and though my teens.

Getting back to the buses, those old MACKS sure bring back many fond memories of those used by the various Jersey City "indies", 50-odd years ago (SOUTH HUDSON BOULEVARD and CENTRAL AVENUE are two old carriers that come to mind)

How commonplace they once were, long ago.......aaaahhh, to see one today and hop aboard for a wonderfully nostalgic ride in yesteryear...... Smile

Thank you again!

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: