BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May need to rent an old RI bus or two

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Announcements & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioldcarguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: May need to rent an old RI bus or two Reply with quote

Coworkers and I are hoping to shoot a TV show in Rhode Island. It's set in the 1960s, when a couple of big changes were taking place in bus transportation here: United Transit Company's orange-and-yellow UTC buses were on their way out and RIPTA, with its mint-green-and-white colors and Rhode Runner mascot, was coming in. And just a little before, the rolling stock had started switching to GM Fishbowls from old-look units.

We'll likely need buses in some shots and we'd like for them to be right. Can anyone help us find UTC/RIPTA, old-look/new-look buses nearby that we can rent if we get to produce the show?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything that could just be rented and driven.

The Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine has an authentic UTC 1947 Twin Coach, which ran in service until the 1966 RIPTA takeover. It's in rough shape and I'm guessing would only be an option if you could fund a full restoration. Here's what it looked like in October:

There are a couple of ex-UTC buses in the woods in Johnston, but they have been there for decades and are likely unsalvageable.

Aside from those, I know of nothing still existing in the area, especially in original 1960s colors. RIPTA had a 1970 New Look painted red for the Providence Fire Department, which I last saw a few years ago with its engine removed. I don't know if it has been scrapped or not.

UTC had several Old Looks bought used from Public Service Coordinated Transport of New Jersey, and while I don't think any of those particular units survived, there are other ex-PSCT Old Looks in existence that would be relatively authentic with a repaint.

You could try asking on the NEBusNews Yahoo group; several members over there are very familiar with UTC/RIPTA equipment and their dispositions.

Best of luck; I'm excited to see how this project turns out!

Last edited by ripta42 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
rioldcarguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That Twin Coach had been quite a looker and I remember seeing buses like it (and riding them occasionally) when I was a kid.

Thanks for the lead on the Yahoo group; I'll follow up and let you know if I have any luck. Meanwhile, since I doubt we'll be in a position to do a restoration I'm formulating a fall-back position: That's to see if I can find an ambulatory bus or two of appropriate vintage close-by enough to use. Unless they're going to be used in key plot roles, UTC and RIPTA logos probably wouldn't have to show. With any luck we may even find colors that are close. But what matters most is that any buses that show look like buses we'd have seen in the '60s!

Thanks again.
Paul
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rioldcarguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh! NE Bus News may not be a Yahoo group anymore. I just got the dreaded "error 404 - not found" message when I clicked it. Then again, maybe it only moved to a new spot. If anyone knows its whereabouts- or has any other leads, please let me know. Thanks!
Paul
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the link again; I made a mistake in the hyperlink.

Flagship Trailways in Cranston now owns this 1964 suburban New Look. Not the right colors, but it's a possible resource. They might also know of other running buses in the area.

rioldcarguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beauty!
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if Tony A's bus that was pictured ran at the 64-65 World's Fair, before moving on to Gray Line. The roof-top windows and the time period fits.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It was originally Recreation Lines (Orange & Black) #653 and was for World's Fair service.
UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been on here for a long while now.

Anything new on the TV show or anything UTC would be interesting to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Announcements & Information All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: