BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cameras on Busses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Feedback & Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Monaco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Cameras on Busses Reply with quote

Think cameras on Busses are here to stay, although I think they should be more focused on passengers than drivers. Being watched like that for entire shift could be nerve racking. Used to be able to shut them off at first when you shut the engine off but now they remain running for a period of time. Remember when wheelchairs used to be at the rear door and you had a key to operate chair lift switches on RTS model GMC Busses and key would get lost.That became a problem. Also certain types of fareboxes that were and still are difficult to accept dollar bills. Another schedule killer.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Monaco,

I'm not sure if anyone has welcomed you to BusTalk yet but, if not, let me do so now and say that we look forward to your very intuitive and worthwhile ideas and contributions.

On the subject of cameras on buses; I agree that they should be more focused on passengers than on the driver for obvious reasons.

I will say that in my time behind the wheel for Green Line (NY) back in the late fifties, cameras wouldn't have sat too well with drivers especially on late night layovers in desolate areas with a lady friend aboard - if you get my drift.

BTW; I, for one, always behaved myself!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
James Monaco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome to the site. Yes the midnight shift can get lonely .
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to have a society that relies on video taping all actions, but a forward camera could help determine what happened in an accident, and a rearward camera could show passenger misbehavior and possibly identify an assailant.
---
The last-century story that I like best occurred somewhere on a crosstown route in or near Orange, NJ. A bus collided with another vehicle at an intersection, and almost nobody on the bus was hurt. A camera recorded people then boarding the bus to fill out injury forms. The prosecutors sat on the story for a while until the claims were filed, then prosecuted the non-passenger claimants!
When waiting helps. Bravo!
James Monaco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera placement like you mentioned I think would be the better way for camera surveillance installation. Also accidents when people board busses they were never on and then trying to benefit from it. Have heard about that.
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

---
The last-century story that I like best occurred somewhere on a crosstown route in or near Orange, NJ. A bus collided with another vehicle at an intersection, and almost nobody on the bus was hurt. A camera recorded people then boarding the bus to fill out injury forms. The prosecutors sat on the story for a while until the claims were filed, then prosecuted the non-passenger claimants!
When waiting helps. Bravo![/quote] I recall hearing that septa did the same thing. The people on the bus was septa personal and after the staged accident they filmed about 15-20 people getting on and claiming they were hurt.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras are there because there is a lawyer on every street corner trying to make a buck by stealing it (my words) from anyone he/she can get it from rather than working for an honest living.

Tort reform will never come to the US because most of our politicians are also lawyers, and because the trial lawyers groups are big - and I mean BIG campaign contributors.

Get used to cameras. They're in places we don't expect, at many street intersections, in buildings, above and watching sidewalks, and all over our transit vehicles. They're here to stay. Smile at 'em, break wind every now and then near one, and hope someone watches that clip!

timecruncher
busmadrod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Cameras on Buses Reply with quote

Cameras are a standard norm on both buses and trains here in Australia, they are put in place to protect the drivers and passengers from unruly elements of the populations.

In Sydney in the NightRide Buses, they replace the Sydney trains from 1am till 5am, they have armed security guards on them and that has been in place since they started in the later 70s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Feedback & Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: