BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farebox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acbrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Farebox Reply with quote

What Fare box are you using? Specing out new ones and would like a little advice.
I am looking at the Odyssey or the Fast Fare.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acbrown,

Firstly, let me take this opportunity to welcome you to BusTalk and say that we look forward to your valued contributions.

There are not many active bus operators on this board so you may have some difficulty in obtaining advice.

However, I own a Johnson Model 'D' Electric which sits right next to my computer for me to enjoy and, if your in this only as a hobby, such boxes are plentiful on eBay priced anywhere from $100 to $1,000 (and most of them still work!).

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
fareboxer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Johnson Fare box Reply with quote

I have a Johnson Fare box and am trying to fine IPB's or repair manuals.....Anyone know of a place?....Also...Grew up in San Francisco [1940's]and rode the street cars and gas buses all over the city...I could get a transfer ride all day long for a dime [silver]....

Was always fascinated by the fare boxes......Finally bought one.....Since I can't plug it to a/c I can turn the little knob and it will still count coins....Nickels...Dimes...Quarters and even pennies!

.....Have no clue as to this site still being used.....
:o :o

$_57.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.75 KB
 Viewed:  32382 Time(s)

$_57.JPG

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fareboxer,

I figured that as long as we're at it, I would show off my Johnson Model D.

I bought this box through eBay for $100 about five years ago from the son of a retired Pheonix, Arizona bus driver who it was presented to as a retirement gift.

This box is entirely chromium plated for presentation by Johnson and what looks like rust or tarnish just below the meters is actually a background reflection.

The only things missing are the meter legends and the cheater ball and chain and that I have in my desk drawer to put in when I feel like taking the box apart.

BTW; because of the problems of electrification, I have merely removed the drive belt from under the side cover (very simple) and grind it easily by hand and, as far as moving it around, it is so heavy that I have to remove the coin counter guts first (also very simply by pulling out the cheater rod).

Regards for the New Year.

Mr. 'L'

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
fareboxer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Mr. L Reply with quote

Mr L
Thank you very much for your response...

I know less then little about Fareboxes....It was on a whim that I bought this one...I also got it off of eBay and feel I may have paid too much....However I am happy to have it...
the cheapest one I saw was $200...and I had placed the only bid so that is what I paid for it....And yes, that thing is heavy....

I am trying to find some type of instructions on how to take this thing apart....I tried...With some difficulty to do so and found it not to be a simple thing...I could only pull the meter part partly out and then it seemed to hang up....Because my friend "Murphy" hangs on my shoulder, I was loth to continue pulling on it........

Is there, to your knowledge, any publications on these.....Fareboxer..///
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about taking it apart... I have a Johnson model D, a K-25 and a Grant Electrofarer... trial and error and plenty of WD40!

Taking the Grant apart was real work!

I have never seen a manual showing how to take them apart... I have a Xerox copy of a Service/Parts manual for the "D" (dated June 1949) excellent diagrams but no instructions.
fareboxer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: MaBSTOA 15 Reply with quote

Would you be able to post that?....Anything might be of help....I am not sure how to use all of the features on this site so I just wing it....

When I was a kid, I used to ride the Street Cars and Buses in San Francisco..

It only cost a dime to ride all over the City.....I could get a transfer slip and go from ride to ride all day long on that dime.......

So...I went on line and checked out the metro buses in San Francisco....I got in contact with the San Francisco Metropolitan Transportation Authority [SFMTA] and had conversations with a few nice people.......Right now, I am waiting for a response from someone in the repair office....

I hope to hear back from them by the end of the week.....Will see what happens and I will pass any good info on.........Hope all had a great Christmas...Enjoyed their New Years Eve indulgences with out too much of a good thing......It is 5:39 am Central where I live.....Thanks again....
fareboxer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Here is where things are at the moment... Reply with quote

I have been travailing all over the net and phone....Mainly in San Francisco......Has been a long tiring journey......

This is the web site to go to....

http://www.johnsonfarebox.com

This is contact person coachlines@sbcglobal.net

:D :D
timecruncher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miserable GFI Cents a Bill boxes right now, or as our maintenance director likes to say "one power surge away from complete failure" DOS system fareboxes that will be replaced later this year (2014) with new stuff from Lecip. They may not work any better, but what the heck - they're at least different!

timecruncher
fareboxer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Update on my farebox Reply with quote

The below is from an email that I received from the...

johnsonfarebox.com people....Also included a PDF of the Illustrated Parts Breakdown of my farebox.. Johnson Fare Box Company..Chicago 1949.

A Service Manual and Price List of Parts for Manual and Motorized Type "D" Farebox....

It was interesting to learn that the little chain that hangs down is called a Tell-Tale designed to fall out of its slot if someone tried to tip the box upside-down in an attempt to get the coins....No simple way to put it back...Smile

I am willing to send a copy to anyone who may want one....Just leave me a contact......

Email copy....

What you have there is a Baltimore Transportation Company Johnson D box used on the PCC cars until 1963. These have a 24 Volt DC motor by the way. They were gray when in service with a black face plate and black belt cover. I have 5 of them in my collection. I saw this one of Ebay. You need to find a way to convert your house current to 24 Volts to run the motor. I use an automotive battery charger to run the 12 Volt boxes which are the more common ones. Johnson also offered a 6 volt DC box for uses in the Ford buses. Enjoy the box.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fareboxer,

That's exactly why my Model D cheater ball and chain remains in my desk drawer!

Actually, it's a rather simple matter to change or replace;

Once the main guts have been removed, access to the four bolts that hold down the glass cage become easily available for lift off.

On another subject; I know very little about electric motors and I'm wondering if the present 12 Volt unit can be rewound for 110 Volt service - if not, I'm going to see if I can find a 110 version for adaptation.

My ultimate goal is to make the box into a lamp for my den and to do so in such a way as not to invade the box itself in any manner.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
fareboxer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Mr. L Reply with quote

The PDF I mentioned shows a hand going into the box to reset the chain and the needed method to accomplish that task.....

I suggest that you view the link I supplied...Scroll down to the bottom and use the contact info.....Outlook will pop up....I don't like or use it.....

I just copied the email address and went from there.....I did speak with one of the people by land line so I know he will get your email.....

I am confident that your questions as to the 110 adaptation could be answered....

I do hope you avail yourself of their services....

I hope this info is of value....Thanks for the response....... :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: