BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

County wide (sort of) Sunday Service, starts Jan 5th!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: County wide (sort of) Sunday Service, starts Jan 5th! Reply with quote

The following routes will have Sunday service which will be based on the Saturday schedules. The 10C, 3D, S1, S33, S40, S41, S58, S54, S66 and the S92. There will be not additional holiday service, just the holidays it runs now. Attached is a copy of the map of all the routes listed. SCT Sunday Service map
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the goals of expanded service was to serve major LIRR stations and area hospitals. NO service to LIRR Ronkonkoma and two hospitals in Port Jefferson (Mather & St. Charles).
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
NO service to LIRR Ronkonkoma and two hospitals in Port Jefferson (Mather & St. Charles).

I'm surprised there will be no service to the Ronkonkoma RR, though I'm not that surprised that there will be no service to Mather or Saint Charles.

My guess for no service to either Mather or Saint Charles is that either there isn't enough people using those stops currently that the felt warranted service on Sunday (I mean when I was younger those stops seemed to be used infrequently.) or they felt that since the buses would have to transit through the village that, especially in the summer time (since this is suppose to be year round test), they felt that the village would be to busy on a Sunday and cause the buses to be delayed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thirteen days until the expanded Sunday/Holiday service schedule begins and still NO mention of the expanded service on the SCT website!
NO new schedules posted either! And re: the new Twitter account; the SCT office at Yaphank is only open Mon-Fri, 8:00am-4:30pm., so don't expect any updates after those hours!
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw News 12 re: expanded Sunday service http://longisland.news12.com/multimedia/sunday-service-to-start-for-suffolk-bus-1.6667656

Look at the great signs promoting the Sunday service! Never saw those signs on the East End when the S92 and the 10C began their Sunday service in 2011.

Also no mention of the fares. $2.25 on routes S92 and 10C, $2.00 everywhere else.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Newsday article, but again still no mention as to what the rates will be. My advice would be to call Thursday both SCT and your legislator's office to find out for sure. However by county decree they must announce a raise in rates on the routes affected by it, 30 days in advance, and have a public hearing 90 days in advance. They don't have give such a notice in advance if the rate remains the same or if they are dropping the rate. That is recited by memory from the hours upon hours of listening to and/or attending Public Works and Transportation committee meetings. It would be extremely unfair to remain at the higher rate out there and leave the rates intact for the other 8 routes.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the service was said to be funded first though money from the state and now with money from the federal government, I don't think there will be a fare increase. I don't even think there was mention of a fare increase when they first talking about doing it.

The only reason there was a fare increase for Sunday Service for the S92 and 10C back in 2011 was because, if I remember correctly, there was no money coming in to fund it. They were going to fund it using the fare increase.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jimbo ask of SCT and you shall receive: Sunday Service I hope they don't stay at the higher rate out there for the sake of fairness, but I will say the schedules don't have any change in rate for any routes, which means they might.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Well Jimbo ask of SCT and you shall receive: Sunday Service I hope they don't stay at the higher rate out there for the sake of fairness, but I will say the schedules don't have any change in rate for any routes, which means they might.

Since the S92 and 10C Sunday Service seems to be folded into this new program, I would think they would lower the fares of the two routes some time in the near future. I mean the only reason to keep their fares at where they are would be if for some reason Sunday Service doesn't work out and they decided to scrap it, they should keep the Sunday Service on those two routes because the funding for it would come out of the fares as it did before. (It would probably be unlikely that they would scrap Sunday Service once they start it, but it's a reason nonetheless.)
hound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: suffolk transit sunday service Reply with quote

[quote="Commackbustaker"]Here's the Newsday article, but again still no mention as to what the rates will be. My advice would be to call Thursday both SCT and your legislator's office to find out for sure. However by county decree they must announce a raise in rates on the routes affected by it, 30 days in advance, and have a public hearing 90 days in advance. They don't have give such a notice in advance if the rate remains the same or if they are dropping the rate. That is recited by memory from the hours upon hours of listening to and/or attending Public Works and Transportation committee meetings. It would be extremely unfair to remain at the higher rate out there and leave the rates intact for the other 8 routes.[/quote

Newsday says it will be the first time for Sunday service since system began-six decades ago? SCT began in 1981. Is this a new math?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: suffolk transit sunday service Reply with quote

hound wrote:

Newsday says it will be the first time for Sunday service since system began-six decades ago? SCT began in 1981. Is this a new math?

I think they may have bee referring to when bus service was started by the individual bus companies before Suffolk took over. I could be wrong but that was the feeling I got from reading that same comment in a non-Newsday article.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunrise Coach Lines, Greenport, NY started its line service in 1937. And there were others in western Suffolk before then. The "six decades" comment makes no sense!
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to look weird seeing more than just the S92 on Sundays..especially in Riverhead (S58 and S66). I would think they COULD have included the 8A in this too. Is there a plan in the near future to do so? The 8A does serve Peconic Bay Medical Center (formerly Central Suffolk Hospital).
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Sunrise Coach Lines, Greenport, NY started its line service in 1937. And there were others in western Suffolk before then. The "six decades" comment makes no sense!

Someone probably didn't check their facts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: