BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATHS Photo Archive: Autocar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: ATHS Photo Archive: Autocar Reply with quote

As a 30 year member of the American Truck Historical Society, I am proud to present their collection of historical images of Autocar:
http://archives.aths.org/archives/default.aspx?aid=5
Enjoy!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Great Autocar collection from the Society's Archive - they were sure lean, mean machines and I'd put their best against Mack's any day.

I did notice that of the hundred of images, only one of my favorite early thirties Model U's is among them.

The Model 'U' chassis, perhaps among the toughest of the COE types ever built, served by the hundreds (and probably in record numbers) for the City of New York Department of Sanitation carrying their street flusher and refuse collection bodies from the early thirties well into the sixties.

I own many photos of these gems and I would be honored to add the attachments to the collection.

The upper focus is seen on a local Manhattan street recharging it tank from a fire hydrant for its next high pressure assignment while in the lower frame we see a flusher followed by a refuse model easily handling the remnant of a heavy snow storm.

My personal regards and best wishes to you and the family for a happy and healthy New Year.

Mr. 'L'

Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm greetings, Mr. L. and the same to you and yours!
On the subject of A-Cars, as a lifelong big truck lover, I always admired the big, tough-looking U series Autocars, The letter "U" stood for "underseat", meaning the engine sat beneath the driver. These cabs did not tilt forward like the White 3000 or lift vertically like the short-lived Mack D series. Instead, the engine could be accessed by removing a series of panels inside the cab. Because U series rigs had short BBC (Bumper-to-Back of Cab) dimensions, they often were used in applications requiring a short overall length and good maneuverability. As such, many coal and fuel oil delivery trucks used A-Car U series chassis.
For more good stuff on Autocars of all types, check out the following website:
http://www.waykool.com/autocar/main.htm
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Try this on for size! (now I'm bringing out the 'big guns!').

If this isn't the toughest thing on six wheels, I don't know what is!

I love the chromium window frames and radiator housing.

Regards again,

Credit within frame.

Mr. 'L'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: