BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'THE DEMISE OF CHICAGO MOTOR COACH CO. # 106'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: 'THE DEMISE OF CHICAGO MOTOR COACH CO. # 106' Reply with quote

I'm beginning to feel like the 'Grim Reaper' what with all of these reports on bus accidents and burn ups lately but that's about all I can come up with at the moment so please bear with me and enjoy the pictures.

If the focus of the attached image seems familiar to you New Yorkers it should be because it's the remnant of a 1936 62 passenger Yellow Coach Double Decked Model 720 numbered 106 and one of 100 that operated for the Chicago Motor Coach Company - a division of the Chicago based Omnibus Corporation who also owned Fifth Avenue Coach Company of New York (FACCO).

#106 is seen in the affluent lakeside community of suburban Chicago's Lincoln Park on the morning of October 13th. 1937 in the aftermath of an all consuming fire in which 62 passengers and the driver were able to escape unscathed.

The Yellow Model 720, which was almost identical to the Model 735 used exclusively by FACCO on many of its New York routes, was six inches shorter in height to negotiate many of the Windy City's low slung railroad overpasses.

Photo taken by Acme Newspictures and is available on eBay through 'Historic Images' as item # 390724924421.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York.

NorthShore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the RTS, the first model Queen Mary had technical problems. The RTS 03 (sloped back) had issues with the overheating A/C system, hence the square back RTS 04.
The Queen Mary 720 had electrical problems due the the placement of the battery in the engine compartment (rear engines were quite new at the time).
After this fire, modifications were made. Also GM (Yellow Coach)introduced the model 735 with these modifications. They also raised the height of the upper level on the 735 after passenger complaints on the 720.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthShore,

It never ceases to amaze me even with today's advanced 'plastic' buses that the engine compartments are not equipped with adequate fire walls to contain an incursion into the passenger areas.

As far as Chicago # 106 and its siblings go, I can find nothing in literature indicating exterior paneling material which would have to have been all aluminum (my best guess), all steel or something they called 'plymetl' which was a thin aluminum or steel sheathing over thick plywood panels.

If it were the latter, it would explain the disappearance of much of # 106's body.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: