BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buses in 42, Jackie Robinson film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Buses in 42, Jackie Robinson film Reply with quote

Others will be able to give better descriptions, but here goes.
----
The movie "42" is set mostly in 1946 and 1957. In several scenes, GM transit buses with paired windows are seen parked near small ball fields. In a brief moment, Jackie and wife Rachel are apparently riding one in Philadelphia. I suspect they are out of a museum. The paint scheme is similar wherever they show up: dark gray under the window line.
----
An intercity Greyhound is shown "in the South" when the couple get bumped from a flight east from New Orleans.
----
A Flxible Clipper transports Dem Bums to a Philadelphia hotel, which refuses a reservation for the entire team.
----
We enjoyed the film.
Joe
Hankg42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoyed the film very much, and noticed the paired window old-looks in scenes that were set in 1946. My first thought was that they hadn't been introduced yet, as of that year. If not for this site, I never would have even noticed! Smile

Edit: One additional thing I noticed... they appear to be a wide body model (is it 110"?), with the spacing between the rear windows being more than the 96" wide models.
andy47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that the GMC transit buses used in the film were 1948 or later models because of the paired windows. Not a big deal. The average movie goer would never know the difference, and it is of course difficult to obtain the exact model to match the year of the movie. I imagine the buses were retired Los Angeles vehicles.

The movie itself was excellent.
buslist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a bus in Fruit Salad colors outside the stadium in New Jersey? Don't think NCL was anywhere around.
bill937ca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you saw this bus.

https://sites.google.com/site/rtsregionaltransitservice/our-fleet/transit-buses/2102---1958-gmc-tdh-4801-1

http://www.rts-regionaltransitservice.com/

Another vintage bus fleet.

http://www.richfieldbus.com/gallery/8-classic-bus-collection-available-for-film-production-only-photo-gallery-7.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: