BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'THE TWINS OF DETROIT/WINDSOR'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: 'THE TWINS OF DETROIT/WINDSOR' Reply with quote

I have often talked of my sojourn to Detroit in 1958 to see the Cadillac factory followed by a bus trip (Great Lakes Transit) to Pontiac for a tour of GM Truck and Coach (arranged by Mr. 'C' of GBL).

Both were great experiences and, after all was said and done, I had time on my hands and decided to take the Detroit to Windsor (Ontario) Tunnel bus just to say I was in Canada!

Pictured below is a photograph of the tunnel showing two of the original coaches passing each other just at the international line between the United States and Canada - of course, the buses that I used were much newer and, if I remember correctly, were post war Ford Transits.

The pictured coaches are late twenties Twin Model 40's which, by the way, gained their name because of the twin 4 cylinder underfloor engines that powered them (you can learn much more about the Model 40 on page 8 of the 'Bus Nostalgia' series in another thread on this site).

What I'm about to tell you is no joke!; things in Detroit are so bad now that the city is considering selling its half of the commonly owned Tunnel to Windsor!

A little history of the tunnel;

The Detroit/Windsor Tunnel was built in 1930 by the same firm that built the Holland Tunnel which connects lower Manhattan with New Jersey.

It was financed equally by the city's of Detroit and Windsor and was only the third such undertaking for passenger cars in the world.

Photo courtesy of eBay.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cdntruckphotog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can safely say it's staged for promotional purposes picture but very nice none the less.
I'm surprised that the Macoun (is that how Matty spells his surname?) interests haven't made the City of Detroit an offer for their part of the Tunnel. It would dovetail with his ownership of the Ambassador Bridge.
bill937ca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were post-war Twins still running in the tunnel in 1962. Not sure how long they lasted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: