BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Bridge and A Lighthouse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: A Bridge and A Lighthouse Reply with quote

It is hard to imagine our transportation network without bridges. They allow us to overcome obstacles which had previously inhibited our ability to easily travel about. Lighthouses, while largely replaced by more modern navigational systems, were once the safety net for ships navigating our waterways.

The two were linked together in a 1942 children's book, titled "The Little Red Lighthouse and The Great Gray Bridge" by Hildegarde Swift, and illustrated by Lynd Ward. The story was that of a lighthouse doing it's duty until one day a large bridge was built almost directly on top of it. The lighthouse felt that it was no longer needed, until one stormy night, a ship crashed against the shore. The bridge reassured the lighthouse that everyone, no matter how large or small, was important.

For me as a child, the best part of this book was that I knew where the lighthouse and bridge were. My parents pointed the lighthouse out to me while traveling to New Jersey one time, and ever since then I always tried to catch a glimpse of it as traveled to the "great gray bridge". The bridge, if you didn't know, is the George Washington Bridge, and the lighthouse, officially Jeffrey's Hook Light, has been preserved by the City of New York Department of Parks and Recreation.

I had the opportunity to visit both the lighthouse and the bridge yesterday. They are both wonderful to see up close, and something that many visitors to New York miss out on. Here are some pictures from my visit. Notice the many modes of transportation seen. Enjoy!

Bill

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Great report on two of New York's most treasured landmarks.

As many times as I've crossed the GW, I never knew of the lighthouse until only recently.

Thanks for sharing and best regards,

Mr. 'L'
Bill D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. L !

The views from the bridge are fantastic! I highly recommend it.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: