BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunday service Suffolk Transit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Sunday service Suffolk Transit Reply with quote

This year Sunday/holiday service on routes S-92 and 10C will begin on Sunday, May 27 thru Sunday, October 7. The holidays with service are Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to ask the forum about this, but you beat me to the punch Jimbo, cheers!
On the flip side of the county I've inquired to HART about Sunday service as currently they have the lowest fares of anyone in the tristate area of $1.25. I had to leave a message with someone and I'll try again Monday.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got ahold of someone with HART and it appears later this year they will be having a public forum to discuss improvements in the system, so that will be the time to bring up Sunday service or other things HART is looking to add including adding lines, routes, and hours of service. My contact for this info was Steve McGloin with Transportation and Traffic Safety. I'll be interested to see what comes out of this when it does occur.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Sunday service Suffolk Transit Reply with quote

For the summer of 2013, Suffolk Transit will operate Sunday service on two (2) routes - S92 and 10C. Service will start Sunday, May 26, 2013 and end Sunday, October 13, 2013. Holiday service provided on Monday, May 27 (Memorial Day), Thursday, July 4 (Independence Day) and Monday, September 2 (Labor Day).
The Sunday schedule for route 10C will be the same as last year.
The Sunday schedule for route S92 will be six (6) buses providing 11 trips from East Hampton to Greenport/Orient Point and 11 trips from Orient Point/Greenport to East Hampton. This schedule is expanded from last year.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in! From NEWSDAY. http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-deal-expands-sunday-evening-bus-service-1.5172171
Awaiting the date when this expanded service is to begin.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
This just in! From NEWSDAY. http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-deal-expands-sunday-evening-bus-service-1.5172171
Awaiting the date when this expanded service is to begin.

And you also mean what routes will get it, since based on the article and the amount of money I doubt this will effect the whole system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the "Suffolk Times". http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2013/05/39475/officials-to-vote-on-sunday-bus-service-expansion-tuesday/
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
From the "Suffolk Times". http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2013/05/39475/officials-to-vote-on-sunday-bus-service-expansion-tuesday/

Why is it that the Suffolk Times seems to have more of the smaller details, for example the mention of it being a pilot program for a year, then Newsday. However both are lacking the details of if it is system wide or for selected routes.

I figured it was most likely going to be year round, I mean I doubt it would have passed if it wasn't or at least it probably wouldn't need $1.1 million in funding. It being a pilot program for a year is a bit of a surprise. Also figured the S92 and 10C would be effected since it already had Sunday Service.

The only thing I disagree with Mr. Ballone about is that I don't see Sunday Service bringing environmental improvements. I mean if people have cars, then they are going to use their care, I doubt they would not use their car for one day just because the county started running service on Sunday. That doesn't mean though that I'm against Sunday Service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "NEWSDAY" on-line, 05/08/13:

"Also Tuesday, legislators authorized the use of $1.1 million of about $2.1 million in the new state transit aid to expand Sunday and evening service on several county bus routes. Supporters, led by Legis. Jay Schneiderman (I-Montauk), wanted to use all of the funds to increase service. But Bellone said that in light of the county's estimated $250 million deficit, a portion should be used to cut transit subsidies.

A route expansion plan will be presented to lawmakers within 30 days. Suffolk also is applying for $2 million in federal aid to further expand Sunday and evening service. Currently, only East End routes offer Sunday service, but only in summer.

Public transit advocates urged support for the bill, saying it would help the working poor and students.

"These are the folks who need the Sunday service, the extended service, the most," said Richard Koubek, Welfare to Work Commission chairman."
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
From "NEWSDAY" on-line, 05/08/13:

"Also Tuesday, legislators authorized the use of $1.1 million of about $2.1 million in the new state transit aid to expand Sunday and evening service on several county bus routes. Supporters, led by Legis. Jay Schneiderman (I-Montauk), wanted to use all of the funds to increase service. But Bellone said that in light of the county's estimated $250 million deficit, a portion should be used to cut transit subsidies.

A route expansion plan will be presented to lawmakers within 30 days. Suffolk also is applying for $2 million in federal aid to further expand Sunday and evening service. Currently, only East End routes offer Sunday service, but only in summer.

Public transit advocates urged support for the bill, saying it would help the working poor and students.

"These are the folks who need the Sunday service, the extended service, the most," said Richard Koubek, Welfare to Work Commission chairman."

I thought the plan was suppose to be brought up to a vote by the County Legislature yesterday.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^It did and it passed almost unanimously. How long before we know what routes will get it? Will they be using guidelines outlined by a earlier study or just picking routes that have the most Saturday ridership? I would also imagine that Sunday service would become permanent for the east end routes or am I mistaken?
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one listens to the tail end of this week's Public Works and Transit meeting (http://legis.suffolkcountyny.gov/clerk/cmeet/pw/2013/PW072313.rm), you will hear what the coming plans are for Sunday service. It's a five minute segment and while I wasn't surprised with what I heard but still I'll leave it up to you to hear for yourself what I did, start listening around the 58th and half minute mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: