BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boston Bus Crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Boston Bus Crash Reply with quote

At about 7:30 PM, 2/2/13, an MCI from a Philadelphia company called Calvary Charter leaving Boston got onto Soldier's Field highway along the Charles River. This highway is not for commercial vehicles as the bridges spanning the road have only a 10 ft. clearance.

I don't know why the driver was on there since I know it is clearly marked. A few years ago I did a weekend charter to Boston and stayed in a hotel right next to that road. Even without the signs it was obvious that the overpasses were very low.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHBd3X21fck
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible news. So sorry for the victims....

I cannot understand why this type of accident, all too common, especially with trucks striking low bridges on unauthorized roads, cannot be prevented...

It is usually the case of a driver in unfamiliar territory, often in poor visibility due to weather or nightfall, and sometimes fatigue or substance abuse.
Another possibility is using a GPS to navigate, that does not take into account the height restriction of the vehicle it is guiding.

There has to be some way to prevent drivers from making that mistake. Even though there are sometimes ample warning signs, they still occur.

They should have all entrances to restricted roads protected by a substantial chain-hung barrier that will definitely alert a driver to his mistake after the early warning signs, but well before actual entrance to the road. This barrier might cause minor damage to the vehicle, but a lot better than the effect of hitting a low bridge.
One such place they exist is guarding the entrance to the ramps to the upper bus levels of the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York. They will prevent a Prevost H3 from going up the ramp, where it would not clear the ceiling in the terminal upper levels.
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a gallery of photos posted by Philadelphia's channel 10.
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pa-Bound-Bus-Accident-in-Boston-189545311.html
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that it was not an MCI, but was a Prevost H3. It is a few inches taller than any MCI.....
JimmiB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I earned a Duh on that one. I see the one photo even shows the Prevost name plate!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Another possibility is using a GPS to navigate, that does not take into account the height restriction of the vehicle it is guiding.

The news is saying that the driver and the company admit the driver was watching the GPS instead of the road.
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
traildriver wrote:

The news is saying that the driver and the company admit the driver was watching the GPS instead of the road.

There ya go, NTSB....case closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: