BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Vintage GMC'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: 'Vintage GMC' Reply with quote

Pictured is probably one of the first buses to carry the 'GMC' trademark back in 1927.

The 'coach', #23, belonged to Blue Line Stage, which ran regularly between Lewiston, Walla Walla and Pendleton Washington.

Not exactly an 'RTS', but a good beginning!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne NY

Click below to get full size view.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/goudy/26gmc_bus.jpg
Cyberider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo, Mr. Linsky. It looks like it doesn't have any side windows beyond the front. If not, I wonder why? Also, I wonder what happened to Chipso? Haven't seen any on my grocer's shelves for awhile. Laughing
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
Great photo, Mr. Linsky. It looks like it doesn't have any side windows beyond the front. If not, I wonder why? Also, I wonder what happened to Chipso? Haven't seen any on my grocer's shelves for awhile. Laughing

Dave,

I wondered about the side windows myself and it's either an optical illusion or possibly 'eisenglass' which was an early version of plastic.

You can see light through the windshield reflecting from windows on the right side of the bus.

What is also unusual is the sedan door on the drivers side (not a bad idea!).

This vehicle was really a 'General Motors Truck' with a custom bus body placed on the chassis so for all intents and purposes it actually wasn't a genuine GM bus.

Yellow Coach was already on the scene turning out both transit and suburban coaches.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Etc.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

That driver's side door looks like a handy way for the driver to make a quick escape if he needs to "abandon ship." Thanks for giving us something interesting to look at and think about each day here at BT III. I need to get busy and dig up some material too.

Dave
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
Mr. Linsky,

That driver's side door looks like a handy way for the driver to make a quick escape if he needs to "abandon ship." Thanks for giving us something interesting to look at and think about each day here at BT III. I need to get busy and dig up some material too.

Dave

Dave,

The only reason I can think of for having a 'handy' driver's door is if they were running rum and expected to have to make quick escapes!

Mr. 'L'
Pipe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky. Nice picture. "Pipe"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: 'Vintage Yellow Coaches' Reply with quote

Pictured below are two Evanston (Illinos) Bus Company 1937 model 728 Yellow Coaches numbered 21 & 22 (ser# 1183 and 1184) in pleasing tan over brown livery.

The photo, from the Redden Archive Collection, was taken sometime about 1946 at the company yards.

Notice the 1946 GM model TG 3609 fleet # 91 (ser# 648) just to the right edge of the frame.

Great Old 'GM' buses!

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: