BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear door question on NYTA RTS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Rear door question on NYTA RTS Reply with quote

A week ago, some friends and I were aboard a packed westbound M42, an RTS that had the yellow press-stripes on the rear exit doors. Yes, pressing the stripe after the green light lit did cause the door to swing open. However, as my friends were delayed in a line of exiting passengers, I found myself on the ground, aside, holding the door open mightily. Is this the correct operation of these doors, which exist on much of New York's fleet? They open easily, but they do not stay open easily. The final step down is a big, awkward step for some of us who are not too nimble. At the same time as one is reaching the ground, apparently one must maintain force on the door to keep it open. Am I correct? Thanks.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your question is YES. When the backdoor is unlocked, the lock cam moves and activates the LS1 and LS2 switches. With these switches activated, pushing the tape switch turns on a electric solinoid that controls an air valve. The air goes to the door engine which opens the door. When the door reaches full open, it trips the LS3 switch which shuts the electric solinoid off, thus stopping air flow to the door engine so the door can close. Once the LS3 switch is tripped, its up to the person exiting to hold the door open using their own strength. If the driver has the touch bar by-pass switch on, this will keep the doors open fully by air pressure.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the explanation of how those doors work. Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: