BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hurricane Sandy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Hurricane Sandy Reply with quote

Suffolk Transit has suspended bus service throughout Suffolk County for Monday, Oct. 29, 2012.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTA.info says six garages are out of service due to flooding.

I hope everyone down there is safe and things return to normal quickly.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of comments;

I hope everything other than what might have been up on lifts was moved over to the mainland from the MTA's Rockaway Garage in time because, for sure, it was inundated!

Ever since talk of global warming became a serious subject (no comment here as to whether or not there is such a thing) they've been discussing the vulnerability of lower Manhattan in the 'perfect storm' but I never thought I'd see it happen in my lifetime!

There are a lot of lessons to be learned here with not the least of which being the ramping up of the entrances to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (or what ever it's called now) so water has no chance of flooding it again - that would be a cheap fix too!

BTW; that crane boom that went wild and is now hanging precariously nearly 1000 feet above 57th. Street is even more dangerous than it looks.

The full weight of the cab and its heavy Diesel engine, weights and spools of cable behind it are now unbalanced causing great strain to the pivot assembly it is attached to and could snap at any time! (see attached photo).

It's going to be interesting to see how they're going to negotiate its removal - whatever is decided, it better be soon!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is suffering a little or a lot right now from Sandy's wrath. The scenes of devastation from the Jersey Shore to Staten Island to Hoboken are heart-wrenching. I know those folks may not be able to read this message right now, but the thoughts of our nation are with you. Take care and be safe.

Jim D.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
MTA.info says six garages are out of service due to flooding.

I hope everyone down there is safe and things return to normal quickly.

Far Rockaway flooded real bad.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know what's happening in Atlantic Beach (NY)?.

With Long Beach and the Rockaways devastated, I can only imagine the damage in between.

I have an interest there and I've tried to reach the Village office by phone without success.

Our houses are pretty solid and our boardwalk has survived many hurricanes merely because it's three times the height of the one in Rockaway and at least twice that of Long Beach's (the wooden cabanas though along the shore line are another story - they're always the first to go!).

Old timers used to tell us that the last time Reynolds Channel and the ocean met in Atlantic Beach was 1927 and that was at the low lying east end.

I'm hoping everything survived as I am hoping that all who read this are safe and sound.

Tomorrow is Saturday and I will (as I am sure our Rabbi will) ask God to bring rapid relief to those who are suffering from the ravages of the storm.

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing mentioned on the TV as Long Beach is getting all the publicity. There are blocks that have so much sand washed on them people are using snow shovels to clear paths and the front end loaders to clear streets.

With Atlantic Beach being next to Long Beach I can't imagine them faring any better. The LIRR Long Beach Branch was washed out so I think the damage will hit everyone.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Post Script

'Dangling crane at 57th St. secured six days after snapping in Hurricane Sandy'

By Greg B. Smith / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 11/05/12 (and edited by Mr. 'L')

Riggers finally secured the boom of a tower crane blown loose from a residential high-rise project on West 57th. Street in Manhattan during Hurricane Sandy.

The city Department of Buildings and crane owner Pinnacle Industries spent 36 hours slowly turning the giant cab assembly and main mast sideways at the top of the ninety story structure so the 150-foot boom could be tethered to the side of the still unfinished building (see photo below).

The city said the boom flipped over backward as winds peaked at 80 mph and then swung precariously in the raging storm, but somehow stayed tied to the mast.

A city official who asked to remain anonymous said that in all probability the accident was as a result of operator error in failing to place the boom against the roof of the building in anticipation of the predicted storm, and that a full investigation will begin immediately.

Engineers have now been left with the daunting task of removing the incapacitated assemblage piece by piece which will be accomplished by constructing a derrick on the roof of the building.

As a precaution, the city had shut down West 56th and 57th Streets between Sixth and Seventh Avenues and announced Sunday evening that it would reopen the streets on Sunday night except for two lanes on the north side of W. 57th St., closest to the crane. Some of the affected residents in the area were allowed back to their apartments last night.

The self constructing tower cranes, which are of European design, have been used successfully in the U.S. for several decades and this mishap is a rare incident.

Photo by Michael Heiman/Getty Images

Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When charlie hit us none of this type of crane buckled like this. We had higer winds here.(100 mph + ) One of the things that they do with this type of crane is put it in a freewheel mode where it swings with the wind. This was in a newspaper story because people were wondering if something like this could happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: