BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'UTILITY LINES, INC. (NY) # 44'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: 'UTILITY LINES, INC. (NY) # 44' Reply with quote

S60 To Smith Haven Mall,

I found the following listing for Utility Lines under Vintage Nassau in which you say to check Vintage Suffolk for other Utility buses but I can't find any.

Anyway, if you don't already have it listed elsewhere, I have attached a photo of fleet # 44 - a 1949 'Transit Bus' Model 91 with location and date unknown operating for the company.

The Model 91 body was designed and built by the Union City Body Company of Union City, Indiana and rides atop a Checker Motors chassis.

Utility Lines Inc. (check the Vintage Suffolk County list for other buses brought by Utility Lines)

19xx Mack CW: #37
1952 GM TDH3612: #300-303
1953 GM TDH3612: #304-305
1953 GM TDH3714: #306-307
1956 GM TDH3714: #311-312
1958 GM TDH4512: #313
1960 GM TGH3102: #317

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I was able to find on Utility lines were buses that were based out of their Suffolk Yard, thats why I said to check the Vintage Suffolk list for the company.

I'll add what you found, thanks Mr. L.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in my high school days (early '60's), I use to hang around the Hempstead Bus Terminal bicycling from Mineola and do remember seeing Transit buses pulling in and out of it's slip. I'm not sure if it was a Utility Lines bus or another company. Did Utility serve Hempstead in it's days?

BTW, I wish I was camera ready back then. You've never seen so many models and makes as well as bus companies entering and exiting the terminal.

Inside the terminal was filled with small shops. I do remember buying pizza by the slice, as well as a Nathans and a coin shop that I patronized on every visit.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

I do have a shot of Hempstead Bus Terminal taken in 1950 (upper frame below and albeit fuzzy) that does show a 'Transit Bus' in front of a Hempstead Bus Corporation Mack (center of picture) but not discernible enough to identify the operator.

The all time Nassau County route and operator information site shows nothing by Utility Lines into Hempstead.

However, commonly owned Rockville Centre Bus Corporation most certainly did as seen as a destination on their 'Transit Bus' # 113 in the lower frame below and that's whose bus may be parked in the upper frame.

Of note is the fact that the livery on Rockville Centre # 113 is identical to that of Utility Lines # 44 seen earlier on this page.

Upper photo borrowed for educational purposes only.
Lower photo courtesy of 4509bus of eBay.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
I remember in my high school days (early '60's), I use to hang around the Hempstead Bus Terminal bicycling from Mineola and do remember seeing Transit buses pulling in and out of it's slip. I'm not sure if it was a Utility Lines bus or another company. Did Utility serve Hempstead in it's days?

I think Utility Lines only had the Freeport to Patchouge via Babylon route, or at least thats the only route they had. I think it was said that they had two in Suffolk, but I don't remember if that was proven.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andy47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Utility Lines Reply with quote

As I remember, by the early 1960s Bee Line controlled Rockville Centre Bus Corp., Stage Coach, and Utility Lines. Stage Coach was originally Checker Bus Corp. before Bee Line took over.
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info fellas - I appreciate it. I'm betting the buses I did see were from Rockville Centre Bus.

As a sidenote, I wonder how many actually rode in a Checker/Transit bus? I rode these all the time in Newport R.I. What an experience. Those buses gave you a window shaking jarring ride and when they had to climb hills, their Continental engines would scream! I do miss them though! Great memories from the '50's!

Frankie
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Utility Lines Reply with quote

andy47 wrote:
As I remember, by the early 1960s Bee Line controlled Rockville Centre Bus Corp., Stage Coach, and Utility Lines. Stage Coach was originally Checker Bus Corp. before Bee Line took over.

Stage Coach was originally called Checker Bus?, I'm suprised that nobody mention that on the Vintage Nassau list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: