BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NJ] Nungesser's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: [NJ] Nungesser's Reply with quote

Motivated by a photo on another thread, yesterday I tried to find the name Nungessers either at that famous North Jersey intersection or on a bus destination sign. No luck, even though the NJT bus schedule website uses the word Nungessers.
Going north from Hoboken, I traveled the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Bergenline Avenue, Union City, paying $1.05 senior fare plus 35 cents for a transfer. Vans and more vans passed as I awaited a bus on Bergenline Avenue. Along came 5881, route 89, destination NORTH BERGEN. At 60th Street, West New York, we turned east to Park, went up Park Avenue through Guttenberg, and west on 77th Street, a time-consuming route that obviously helps many passengers who otherwise must hike from Bergenline Avenue. The final stop was Nungessers, where Kennedy Blvd, Bergenline Avenue, and Boulevard East meet, a block south of the Hudson County border. The automatic voice inside 5881 announced a dozen transfer possibilities. White Castle is on the northwest corner.
NJT buses terminating there lay over northbound on Bergenline Avenue. They loop around Burger King , reentering Bergenline via 90th Street.

The word Nungessers might be used on some sign near the intersection, but I could find no trace. About a century ago, there seems to have been a Nungessers hotel and racetrack.

After coffee at a gritty Dunkin Donuts, I joined a group boarding 6042 marked 22 HOBOKEN. A two-zone senior fare was $1.05 for the 78 minute ride, with many on-and-off passengers, even though seats were always available. I watched the northbound flow of buses: many on route 159 from PABT to Linwood Park. A 159 carried a digital sign STANDING ROOM ONLY. Does any other transit bus company in America display that?

Entering Union City, Bergenline Avenue, still lined with miles of small businesses, becomes one way. We crawled through dense traffic, badly-parked cars and ice cream vending trucks. Crossing over I-495, I noted that the expressway to the Lincoln Tunnel was just as slow. The NJT garage at 29th Street appeared shut. (If shut, which garage replaced it?)

We used Paterson Plank Road to the top of the cliff, and turned downhill north to another traffic jam at the 14th Street Bridge. We picked up more riders along Washington Street. At the Hudson Place terminal, a dispatcher was ready with his notebook, and crowds stood awaiting each bus line. (I take it that the through routes have replaced the Washington Street IBOA.)

I write this especially for a frequent and friendly poster who grew up in Union City.
Joe McMahon
rwilenker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for finding the photo of the bowling lanes!
Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: