BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

location of Port Jefferson train station bus stop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankeeharp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: location of Port Jefferson train station bus stop? Reply with quote

Hi, all

Could any of you kind people tell me how to get to the bus stop going north or west (to the Port Jefferson Ferry Dock) from the LIRR train station? Are there any signs visible?

Also, any ideas on whether this is a worthwhile endeavor? Do the buses come by often enough or sync with the train schedules enough? Would it be easier to walk the mile and a half?

TIA
Charlotte
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
This information could be misleading. I have not visited that spot in 15 years. However, this much is certain:
The train creeps to its final stop at Port Jefferson by crossing Main Street, where the buses run. Walk to the rear of the train. According to the photos on Google Street View, the buses northbound on Main Street first cross the tracks before reaching the bus stop, which has a bench, and a bus stop sign. That is, the buses stop at the rear of the train. You do not have to cross the tracks. You do not have to cross the street.
----
Google Street View shows that four routes pick up there. However, some may loop towards the two hospitals. Most trustworthy seems to be Route S60 with only hourly service
http://www.sct-bus.org/schedules/s60.pdf
That route travels downhill north. I have walked that stretch several times. You have a sidewalk all the way. The problem is returning to the train station. It's a long haul uphill from the dock to the station.
----
Maybe another bus route also connects the station with the dock. The sct-bus.org site has a route map, but the individual timetables tell more.
Best wishes.
Joe
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The is a bench on NYS 112 right near the the entrence to the parking lot. That is the effective bus stop. I have no idea if a sign is there anymore. Its the best stop to get the S61.

You can also cross NYS 112 and wait on Wilson Street, there is a stop there, which the S60 from Smith Haven Mall, S62 from Riverhead, 5A from Middle Island, and S76 from Stony Brook use as their Railroad stop, though since the county stopped allowing drivers to cut though the back of the Port Jefferson Shopping Plaza all the bus routes that serve the Port Jefferson Shopping Plaza have to pass it. The S61 doesn't serve the Wilson stop because it doesn't serve the Port Jefferson Shopping Plaza
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yankeeharp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Joe,
Thanks. I had been sort of thinking I would leave the station and walk in the general direction of up the 25A and if a bus came, so much the better. I shall look for the park bench. Here's an aerial from google of the station. Is the dotted purple line the path you are recommending?

Dear S-60,

Thanks.
[[ You can also cross NYS 112 and wait on Wilson Street, there is a stop there ]]

What do you use to make the decision? Do you need to know the schedule, or can you see the bus coming in enough time to run across the street? When you say, cross Main to wait on Wilson, do you mean cross Main, cross the tracks and walk back to the Plaza? Does that offer any improvement? Wouldn't a bus there have to turn left and pass the other stop, anyway?

Btw, would my Connecticut license be accepted for proof of being an old person for senior discount?

Thanks again,
Charlotte
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the purple line is what I suspect is the short walk to the bus stop. The other writer obviously knows more about the area.
---
I must add that taxicabs will probably greet the arrival of the train. I do not ride LI taxicabs, but I observe that they often take several people going the same direction, and they quote a price. As far as I know, they are not metered. Rides between two different hamlets or "towns" can quickly get pricey.
----
On my two or three annual bus rides in Nassau or Suffolk, I have never been asked for proof of age. The Suffolk bus website says this:
Reduced Fare Program for Seniors, Persons with Disabilities and Medicare Card Holders
"Persons with valid, municipally issued cards identifying them as at least 60 years old or mentally or physically disabled may ride
for the reduced, one-way fare. A valid Medicare Card is also accepted as ID. Persons must display their ID card to the driver when paying the fare to ride at the reduced rate."
Joe
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankeeharp wrote:

Dear S-60,

Thanks.
[[ You can also cross NYS 112 and wait on Wilson Street, there is a stop there ]]

What do you use to make the decision? Do you need to know the schedule, or can you see the bus coming in enough time to run across the street? When you say, cross Main to wait on Wilson, do you mean cross Main, cross the tracks and walk back to the Plaza? Does that offer any improvement? Wouldn't a bus there have to turn left and pass the other stop, anyway?

Btw, would my Connecticut license be accepted for proof of being an old person for senior discount?

Thanks again,
Charlotte

I'd try waiting by the bench near the Railroad Station. Only because NYS 112/ Main Street (What ever one you want to call it), isn't the best road to try to cross.

I drew how the S60 would get to the Railroad Station on it's way to Smith Haven Mall.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206017375384020091961.0004c822070bf601c1def&msa=0

As for getting the senior discount, I would have what ever Suffolk Transit say to have that makes you able to get it on hand. I personally have never seen anyone who was a senior show anything nor have I heard a driver ask to see proof, However that could because the driver has had that person before, or the rider looked above 60. I'm sure if you look the age of 60 or above you will probably have no problem getting the senior discount, [/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: