BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Buses of Green Bus Lines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: The Buses of Green Bus Lines Reply with quote

In my continuing effort to reprise the great buses of Green Bus Lines, I present herewith the story of the first group of twenty-five GM TDH 4507's (numbered 926 to 950) delivered to the company in July of 1947;

Pictured above is # 942 (ser# 0867) in the then new apple green and cream color livery which was prompted by a prize to a winning artist. This same design, in different colors, was almost immediately adopted by Triboro Coach, Jamaica Buses and Surface Transportation.

An interesting note; the new livery was 'urged' by the city due to the fact that Green Line's long time grey and green scheme too closely resembled what the municipality was using at the time.

What was even more interesting about these particular 4507's was the fact that they were originally part of a one-hundred bus order for Surface Transportation with ser#'s 0801 to 0900.
For reasons that are still unknown to me ser# 0851 to 0875 were diverted to GBL (I can only assume that some agreement between Green and Surface must have been struck).

Unfortunately, most of the accessories were Surface oriented and virtually useless to GBL.

Notice the old fashioned 'city' headlights that were acceptable to illuminate well lit urban streets, but nearly inaffetive in the then sparsely populated areas of southern Queens! (they were quickly changed to sealed beams).

Then there were the famous rear door treadle steps which, once the last passenger stepped off the bottom step, would automatically close the rear doors. In theory, it was thought that they would speed rush hour service but, in actuality, caused numerous passenger injuries and were quickly replaced with standard steps.

Notice the first use of an air intake over the destination sign (which had the unintended affect of making the front of the bus far more handsome looking) which was part of the 'Thermo-Matic' heating and ventilation system.
Unfortunately, in the Surface configuration, heat radiated from ducts just above the standee windows affording no great comfort for passengers and virtually no warmth for drivers! Again, this was sufficient in overcrowded 'city' conditions but useless in colder suburban operations.
A subsequent order of ten additional 4507's (301 to 310) in 1949 came equipped with traditional underseat and dashboard heating systems.

These buses eventually went to Jamaica and were renumbered to their two-hundred series.

Mr. Linsky

"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, operator, Jamaica, NY
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Photo has Arrived! Reply with quote

I am pleased to inform you all that the technical difficulty that prevented me from placing the above Green Line GM TDH 4507 photo has now obviously been solved.

To add a footnote (as long as I'm at it); notice the white slips of paper in two of the transom or standee windows.

They were usually notices of fare increase and, in this case, might have been the raise from seven cents to a dime! (or a dime to thirteen cents).

Thanks to you all for your patience - enjoy.

Mr. Linsky

"The Green Hornet"
Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great-looking bus and worth the wait, Mr. Linsky. I don't think I've seen any other Old Looks with those kind of headlights.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: #942 Headlights Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
A great-looking bus and worth the wait, Mr. Linsky. I don't think I've seen any other Old Looks with those kind of headlights.

Cyberider,

Those 'headlights' were a throw back to the nineteen twenties and were comprised merely of a large flat glass lens and a standard double filament bulb.

While all the 4507's had been converted to sealed beams long before I drove them, the older drivers used to tell me that you really couldn't see much more than a few feet ahead of you, and forget them altogether in bad weather!

They do look interesting though!

Mr. Linsky

Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, New York
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictured below is another view of Green Line 1947 TDH 4507 # 942 (pictured in the beginning of this forum).

This photo was taken at the Arverne Rockaway facility when the bus was comparatively new.

In this angle, you can really appreciate the old fashioned 'city' headlamps inherited from Surface Transportation.

Also notice the slight dent over the front door in the vicinity of the ICC marker the lens of which is missing.

I think the most fascinating aspect of the photo is the array of prewar Mack model 'CT's' in original dark green and gray livery in the background.

Photo courtesy of Dennis M. Linsky (no relation) of GMOldLookBus@yahoogroups.com

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: 'Manhattan & Queens # 210 Reply with quote

Pictured below is Manhattan & Queens Bus Corporation (a subsidiary of Green Bus Lines) # 210 - a 1946 GM TD 4506 (ser# 0744) and one of thirty five bought by the parent company which were delivered in May of 1946.

One of ten (201 to 210) under the flag of Manhattan & Queens specifically for the Q60 Queens Boulevard route, # 210 is seen heading southbound to Jamaica sometime in late 1946.

Because the company had a strict policy of immediate repair, the dents that are visible on the lower panel just ahead of the rear door must have occured just before this shot was taken!

Photo Courtesy of Dennis Linsky

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos and info, Mr. Linsky. I'm reading them all even if I don't reply to all of them. Your knowledge and photos are much appreciated! Mr. Green
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: 'Thanks' Reply with quote

Dave,

I guess I had a pretty busy weekend on the boards (almost to the point of embarrassment - I felt like a road hog!). But there was a lot to say and a lot to show.

I can't really take credit for the photos - that goes to Dennis, Vince and the rest of the guys at 'Old Look' who do a 'bang up' job!

It's like a bottomless well with Dennis with one great picture after the other - and the Green Line (Manhattan & Queens) #210 (TDH 4506) that he put on yesterday is breathtaking to me (I may frame it) - in fact, I think I'll let it make another guest appearance below!

I try to make my submissions as interesting as possible, and I thank you all for your help.

Mr. 'L'

Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classy photos and stories all!
There's something distinctive about 4506's, in my opinion.
Those rooftop vent housings look good to me.
Maybe it's due to the fact that the Thermomatic vent became a classic feature on the GM Old Looks that operated in the NYC area (especially those operated by QTC), and seeing Old Looks devoid of the TM vent seemed unusual. When I look at photos of TDM-5108's (commonly used as suburbans running in and out of PABT during the 1960's) I feel the same way (those suburbans had front vents mounted under the windshield, and no Thermomatic vents).
Old as they currently are, I still find the curvy lines of GM Old Looks to be aesthetically amazing.
Thanks much to Mr. L and to everyone else who posted on this thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: