BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Accidents Will Happen'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: 'Accidents Will Happen' Reply with quote

Accidents Will Happen

I am sure that over the years Kew Gardens, New York (the writer’s one time home turf) has had its share of vehicular mishaps, as is the case most everywhere else. On the humorous side; a young fellow was speeding down Metropolitan Avenue between 83rd and Lefferts attempting to pass a trolley car and not realizing that there was a trolley coming in the opposite direction. To make a long story short, he survived unscathed but went home with a tall narrow Buick! In my time (circa 1938-1963) however, two accidents stand out vividly in my mind, and neither was humorous! Both occurred with Green Line buses in the early 50's, and both sent passengers to the hospital.

The first involved a lady who lived somewhere in the vicinity of Metropolitan Avenue and commuted one stop to her store by (Q10) bus each day alighting at Cuthbert Road. As she stepped off at the rear exit on this particular occasion her coat became caught in the doors as they closed, the bus started and she was dragged a short distance. I would have to imagine that her screams and those of other passengers alerted the driver to stop. Fortunately, her injuries were minor and she returned to work a few days later.

Now, as to the cause of this accident; the bus involved, # 939 (a twin to # 942 shown elsewhere in this forum), was part of a 1947 order (TDH 4507’s) which was equipped with a rear door treadle step. The rear door treadle step allowed the rear doors to close immediately after the last passenger cleared the bottom step and, simultaneously, release the interlock. It was thought that this feature would expedite bus movement especially during rush hours. As a result of this incident, the company removed all treadle step devices from its fleet.

The second accident involved bus #364 (a 1952 TDH 5104). To set the scene; there was a large construction crane parked parallel to the curb on Kew Gardens Road at 83rd. Avenue and I believe it was in the process of demolishing an abandoned house on the corner as it was loading debris to a dump truck parked ahead of it. The bus, heavy with rush hour commuters, and pushing its 6-71 Diesel engine to its limits, ascended the steep Lefferts hill and made the left turn to Kew Gardens Road. Just as it was about to pass the crane its operator swung the boom in toward the property which, in turn, swung the rear of its cab (which carried tons of steel ballast with it) out into the path of the bus.

In the outcome, three passengers seated on a bench over the right front wheel sustained critical injuries, and it was no contest for the bus itself, which was towed to the body shop in need of a completely new front clip! I am uncertain as to where blame was placed in this incident, but I would have to say that both drivers could have shared it!

Mr. Linsky
“The Green Hornet”
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
B53RICH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stories, Mr. L. I myself grew up in Kew. The house you mentioned being demolished was the one next to the cemetery. That was probably just before my time but I do remember the front steps remaining on Kew Gardens Road and the wall along 83 Ave.
An incident I remember was when I was riding a TDH-5106 Old Look on the B53, now the Q54 during the early 70‘s. We were stopped at Lefferts, Jamaica bound disembarking passengers. A student was just stepping out the rear door when the bus started pulling away, obviously the rear door/braking system wasn't working. I remember seeing him just jumping out while the bus was in motion and was lucky he exited OK. Something like that could have turned more tragic.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
Interesting stories, Mr. L. I myself grew up in Kew. The house you mentioned being demolished was the one next to the cemetery. That was probably just before my time but I do remember the front steps remaining on Kew Gardens Road and the wall along 83 Ave.
An incident I remember was when I was riding a TDH-5106 Old Look on the B53, now the Q54 during the early 70‘s. We were stopped at Lefferts, Jamaica bound disembarking passengers. A student was just stepping out the rear door when the bus started pulling away, obviously the rear door/braking system wasn't working. I remember seeing him just jumping out while the bus was in motion and was lucky he exited OK. Something like that could have turned more tragic.

B53RICH,

The house you refer to was the old Budion house which went down in a blaze of glory as we watched from our classroom window at P.S. 99.

Mr. Budion was a stone mason and did all the grave markers at Maple Grove Cemetery next door.

Interesting that you should remember that.

Thanks for your input.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your stories Mr. L. very interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: