BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE INTER-COUNTY MOTOR COACH'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: 'VINTAGE INTER-COUNTY MOTOR COACH' Reply with quote

While I was born and raised on Long Island I know little about modern day Suffolk County bus operations accept to say that the attachment, which was taken in October of 1999, is fleet # 624 and appears to possibly be a New Flyer model D-901 operating for the Inter-County Motor Coach Company of Babylon, New York.

Feel free to fill in the gaps or errors and enjoy the photo courtesy of eBay.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of the building in the background, I'd say that the bus was in the ICMC yard in Babylon NY.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
From the looks of the building in the background, I'd say that the bus was in the ICMC yard in Babylon NY.

Yeah #624 was at ICMC, it was one of the New Flyer's originally assigned to Alert Coach (I believe #111).

I wasn't aware some New Flyer D901A's were around in 1999, I assumed they were retired in 1993 (because ICMC had received the same number of Flxibles as they had in New Flyers) , though with the year that Mr. Linsky says that photo was taken and the year that is said that a picture of #623 was taken, I'd say that I was wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky, I was told that the county has all the New Flyer's listed as being retired between 1993 and 1994. So whoever clamied that the photo was taken in the fall of 1999 was wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall,

In this case, my only argument can be that those were the dates that accompanied the photo - what else can I tell you?

But, I'm sure your right because you know way more about these things than I do (for Suffolk County, anyway!).

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

In this case, my only argument can be that those were the dates that accompanied the photo - what else can I tell you?

But, I'm sure your right because you know way more about these things than I do (for Suffolk County, anyway!).

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. L, I didn't mean for what I said to sound rude or arguementitive.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thought never entered my mind and I apologize profusely if it might have seemed that way.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

That thought never entered my mind and I apologize profusely if it might have seemed that way.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. L, No need to apoligize, I may have read to much into it because I felt that may orignal statement seemed to me to be rude.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're on the subject of Inter County Motor Coach Company, enjoy the attached photo of fleet # 106 (a 1961 GM Coach Model TDH 4517) taken at the company facility in Babylon (L.I.) probably sometime in the early seventies.

A well worn # 106 is signed for local service to Wyandanch via Babylon and Deer Park, but its cluster of state permit stickers under the drivers window tells us that its been widely traveled in charter over the years.

Inter County opted to decline the emergency door option in lieu of the 'kick-out' passenger windows featured on GM's 'New Look' line (in this case, the window in place of the door is openable).

It's also interesting to note that # 106 seems to have escaped GM's early New Look roof strengthening recall although the lack of an emergency door and possibly a passenger rear door may have exempted it.

Photo courtesy of toddhalliemaya and is up for bid on eBay as item # 160858024510.

Mr. Linsky - [b]Green Bus Lines, Inc.,[/b] Jamaica, New York

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
As long as we're on the subject of Inter County Motor Coach Company, enjoy the attached photo of fleet # 106 (a 1961 GM Coach Model TDH 4517) taken at the company facility in Babylon (L.I.) probably sometime in the early seventies.

A well worn # 106 is signed for local service to Wyandanch via Babylon and Deer Park, but its cluster of state permit stickers under the drivers window tells us that its been widely traveled in charter over the years.

Inter County opted to decline the emergency door option in lieu of the 'kick-out' passenger windows featured on GM's 'New Look' line (in this case, the window in place of the door is openable).

It's also interesting to note that # 106 seems to have escaped GM's early New Look roof strengthening recall although the lack of an emergency door and possibly a passenger rear door may have exempted it.

Photo courtesy of toddhalliemaya and is up for bid on eBay as item # 160858024510.

Mr. Linsky - [b]Green Bus Lines, Inc.,[/b] Jamaica, New York

The bus next to #106 has a cluster of state permit stickers, so I would guess that when they didn't have enought coach buses, that ICMC must have used what ever bus they had avaliable in the yeard to fill charter runs. Either that or maybe they used the transit buses for short charters and coach buses for longer charters.

Thats a great photo. I'm guessing that redish and cream color was the company colors, since most of the GM buses there are photos of from Inter-County seem to have that paint scheme.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen in 1979 in Boston, Massachusetts on a charter assignment is fleet # 334 - a mid seventies GM Coach Model P8M-4905A operating for the Inter-County Motor Coach Co. of Babylon, New York.

The popular forty foot long P8M-4509A with seating up to 53 passengers and power derived from a single Detroit 8V-71 Diesel engine saw production of 2,027 units between 1972 and 1978, and was the first GM over the road coach to offer a fully retractable third axle to meet certain state weight requirements.

Subsequent to the P8M-4905A, GM did build a smattering of an improved version dubbed the H8H-649 and then closed the doors on a half century of parlor car making in 1980.

GM production records show new purchases of P8M-4905A's by Inter-County in 1972 (# 290), 1973 (#294), 1974 (#'s 330 to 332), 1975 (#'s 1776 & 1776B obviously in celebration of the country's 200th. anniversary), 1976 (# 446) and 1977 (# 444) but no recording for # 334 which would lead me to believe that it was purchased used.

Photo courtesy of Vintage-Vault75 and is up for bid on eBay as item # 170899353350.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Seen in 1979 in Boston, Massachusetts on a charter assignment is fleet # 334 - a mid seventies GM Coach Model P8M-4905A operating for the Inter-County Motor Coach Co. of Babylon, New York.

The popular forty foot long P8M-4509A with seating up to 53 passengers and power derived from a single Detroit 8V-71 Diesel engine saw production of 2,027 units between 1972 and 1978, and was the first GM over the road coach to offer a fully retractable third axle to meet certain state weight requirements.

Subsequent to the P8M-4905A, GM did build a smattering of an improved version dubbed the H8H-649 and then closed the doors on a half century of parlor car making in 1980.

GM production records show new purchases of P8M-4905A's by Inter-County in 1972 (# 290), 1973 (#294), 1974 (#'s 330 to 332), 1975 (#'s 1776 & 1776B obviously in celebration of the country's 200th. anniversary), 1976 (# 446) and 1977 (# 444) but no recording for # 334 which would lead me to believe that it was purchased used.

Photo courtesy of Vintage-Vault75 and is up for bid on eBay as item # 170899353350.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

I would think it was brought second hand to, though and maybe someone that would know more, but maybe either 1776 or 1776B were renumbered to #334 sometime after 1976?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: