BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dad's favorite coach is...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Dad's favorite coach is... Reply with quote

My dad and I were talking (he drove buses for nearly 40 years starting in 1969). He has driven numerous types of coaches including GMCs (4106, 4903, 4905), MCIs (8 and 9s), Eagles, and Prevosts. The inevitable question came up and his favorite he said (after a pensive pause) was the 4106. He said for size, power, reliability, and comfort it was hard to beat. Other GMC models were near the top (he loved the later 4905s too) and his absolute least favorite were the Eagles. "What a piece of &*%#. Who in the hell decided to put the drive axle behind the tag axle?!? If you went over a hump the drive wheels would come off the ground and you were stuck. And they were worthless in the snow. That V-6 was so underpowered that when you got to any sort of hill it couldn't get out of its own way. You'd get passed by everything, VWs, old ladies on bicycles, everything!" So went his rant, any other opinions are of course welcome!
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dad and I agree completely on the GM coaches, especially my all time favorite, the 4106. To me they were the last of the real parlor coaches, as the later "buffalo" 4107's 4108's, 4903's and finally, the 4905's, all shared certain design features with the transit buses.
GMC ergonomics were outstanding. When you sat behind the wheel, everything was placed perfectly, and readily fell to hand as you needed them. You felt comfortable enough to sit there for a ten hour stretch.... Cool

I have to laugh at his opinion of Eagle's too.... The 6v92's did seem somewhat anemic, but the Eagle did have its good points. The Torsilastic suspension did yield a very nice ride, and they handled the road well. And you never had to pump airbags up to level the coach, when starting one parked overnight. Starting was another weak point for Eagle's. Their 12 volt system often required jumpstarts. And they overheated all the time. We used to joke about Eagle's coming factory-equipped with soda cans. Why, you ask? Answer....to prop open the engine doors enough to keep them from overheating. Razz
The earlier model "0-1" Eagle's did have a rear tag axle, but when the "0-5" and "0-7" replaced them, in 1968 and 1969, they moved the drive axle to the rear, and moved the fuel tank to between the tag wheels to free up more underfloor baggage space.
MattS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great reply! I forgot to add that there was only one company he worked for (H&L Bloom out of Taunton Mass) that had a PD-4501 Scenicruiser. He said driving that was a real treat except for the fact that the lav was only 8 feet or so behind the driver and the aroma wasn't pleasant at times. GM must have learned after that to relocate the lavs to the very rear.
JimmiB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Traildriver hit it on the head with the comment about the GM's being comfortable. Especially the '06. Everything in the driver area was laid out just right. I liked the 4107 and 4905 but I would gladly go anywhere in a 4106. Our MC-9's were nice handling coaches but didn't have the "comfort zone" of the GM's.
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven every model of MCI, from the MC-5 to the latest D4500, and I have never felt as much "at home" behind the wheel, as in GM's.
The worst is the J4500.

As for our current fleet....IMHO, the best bus from a driver's standpoint is our aging Prevost XL-II's. I prefer them over our new H3-45's. Cool
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattS wrote:
Thanks for the great reply! I forgot to add that there was only one company he worked for (H&L Bloom out of Taunton Mass) that had a PD-4501 Scenicruiser. He said driving that was a real treat except for the fact that the lav was only 8 feet or so behind the driver and the aroma wasn't pleasant at times. GM must have learned after that to relocate the lavs to the very rear.

The PD-4501 had a nice ride up front on the lower level, but the back end wasn't nearly as nice. The coach being 5 feet longer, a foot taller, and considerably heavier than the 4104 and 4106 made it somewhat ponderous in comparison. While to many passengers, the iconic Scenicruiser was the greatest and most well know coach of all time, from a driver's view, I disagree. Driving it, during its exclusive reign as Greyhound's flagship, probably was good for the driver's ego, and perhaps that may have influenced their overall opinion of it.

Only the Scenicruiser had the restroom forward, perhaps to make it easier for elderly to use it that prefered not climbing the steps to the rear upper level. Other buses with restrooms before, during, and after had it in the rear, with a few rare exceptions.....
MattS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like dad's high opinion of the 4106 is shared by others! I have found photos of the Almeida Bus 4106s that he drove, but I'm not sure how to imbed them into a post. I recently found one online and dad confirmed it was taken at the South Boston Trailways terminal. I guess the station is gone now, but used to be just a block off Boston Commons and down the street from the Greyhound terminal. Oddly enough, I was walking down the street here in Indiana a few weeks back and there were several trucks stopped at a stoplight. The smell of diesel and the sounds of the idling engines took me right back to that Boston bus station in the 1970s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: