BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Detroit DDOT rolls out new Gilligs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Detroit DDOT rolls out new Gilligs Reply with quote

From what I understand, Detroit has received 14 (or 15, depending on the source you read) new Gillig buses (the first of 46), waiting to be put into service since January 30. The Gilligs begin to roll out next week, with drivers currently training in them.

These federally-funded buses will begin running at a time when Detroit, which has been struggling with serious service interruptions and delays, is looking to cut overnight runs, shorten routes, and increase interval times between buses.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/22/ron-freeland-to-head-ddot-new-detroit-buses_n_1294121.html

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/detroit-mayor-to-introduce-new-ddot-leader,-buses-on-wednesday-20120222

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/14-new-ddot-buses-sitting-idle-in-shop-20120214-ms
JimmiB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so if I read this right, Mayor Bing named Freeland as CEO of DDOT, whose bus operations were outsourced to a management company which sub-contracted to Envisurage, who is actually Freeland's employer.
Yep, sounds like a government operation.
Anyhow, glad to see that Detroit is getting some new buses.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be the ultimate test of the sturdiness of the Gillig low-floor bus.

JimmiB wrote:
OK, so if I read this right, Mayor Bing named Freeland as CEO of DDOT, whose bus operations were outsourced to a management company which sub-contracted to Envisurage, who is actually Freeland's employer.
Yep, sounds like a government operation.

It can't be any worse than it's been. Freeland also comes to the job with extensive experience in transit administration. Dave Bing seems to be trying to do the right thing in some pretty difficult circumstances, so I wish them well.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 - JimmiB - All -

This "ultimate test" of coach sturdiness and integrity? How did Baltimore ever get left off this "Top Ten" list?

JimmiB: So you are somewhat doubtful of current day mode of "public" (taxpayer) operations? Just brokers on top of brokers,
all getting pieces of the pie (and increasing expenses of delivered products). Very much resembles many of the present day,
"playing with trains" boondoggles. (I can think of some truly classics!)...

....................Vern....................
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:

This "ultimate test" of coach sturdiness and integrity? How did Baltimore ever get left off this "Top Ten" list?

I was referring to an ultimate test for the Gillig bus, which the MTA in Baltimore has not purchased (yet).
JimmiB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
HwyHaulier wrote:

I was referring to an ultimate test for the Gillig bus, which the MTA in Baltimore has not purchased (yet).

I remember about 20 years ago looking over a nicely restored ex Baltimore 4512. I asked the owner why there was a big panel of plexiglas screwed to the outside of the rear window openings. He explained that the "school kids" had a habit of kicking out the rear glass. This was easier than replacing the glass all the time.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
...I was referring to an ultimate test for the Gillig bus, which the MTA in Baltimore has not purchased (yet)...

RailBus63 -

Oh, sure! Your message plainly written and understood. My point is the Baltimore City streets and roads can be quite daunting and difficult on
any equipment. The conditions result from known and chronic under funding requisite upkeep and repair of the highway system. How well any
possible, future Gillig coaches could deal with it?...

The State Legislature presently in session. One of the agenda items is a marvelous "shoulda', coulda'" donnybrook of the "Transportation Fund"
business. The City roads and streets speak for themselves. In past practice and experience, more than a match for varied rolling stock, whether
transit, or any other vehicles...

...........................Vern.......................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: