BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There were suppose to be Two S110 type routes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: There were suppose to be Two S110 type routes. Reply with quote

according to a 1993 Newsday Article, which titled "Buses in the Carpool Lane State seeking $1.4M for 2-year trial runs" Suffolk was talking about having a bus route use the LIE's Carpool lanes. from either NYS 112 or CR 83 to Exit 49 in Melville. In a brief text from the article a Mr. Wayne Ugolick said that six buses would cover TWO routes during the the two rush hours. So I gather that either one route didn't do so well or they couldn't get the money to run both.

Here the link to the brief text and also where you can by the whole article http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/newsday/access/103114465.html?dids=103114465:103114465&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jul+14%2C+1993&author=By+Adam+Z.+Horvath.+STAFF+WRITER&pub=Newsday+%28Combined+editions%29&desc=Buses+in+the+Carpool+Lane+State+seeking+%241.4M+for+2-year+trial+runs&pqatl=google
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not every year that passes since the formation of HOV & the S110, the county has to approve of the government funding for it and continuing to run it. I've been slowly reading through the DPW committee minutes and that happens at meetings near the end of every year. Just saying maybe thats why there's only one route.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Believe it or not every year that passes since the formation of HOV & the S110, the county has to approve of the government funding for it and continuing to run it. I've been slowly reading through the DPW committee minutes and that happens at meetings near the end of every year. Just saying maybe thats why there's only one route.

Could be, or there was two and they had to cut one because of budget problems. I know between when that article was made and now there was only one budget problem that would have lead to route cuts and that was in 1997. I know they proposed to cut a Smith Haven Mall to Sayville route at that time, and that may have been when they axed the S74.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've twice planned to take S110. Once going to SUNY Farmingdale and I must have just missed it, and the other time coming from SUNY Farmingdale to exit 58 on the LIE and the driver didn't wait for the 2B I was on to get there. Ever taken it yourself?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
I've twice planned to take S110. Once going to SUNY Farmingdale and I must have just missed it, and the other time coming from SUNY Farmingdale to exit 58 on the LIE and the driver didn't wait for the 2B I was on to get there. Ever taken it yourself?

No I haven't ridden it, the closest I cam to the S110 was when I saw one heading Out Of Service to SUNY Farmingdale, I would assume to start it's run. At the time I didn't even know that the route existed.

I heard though that the route doesn't carry that many people, though that was a few years ago.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel so bad about not knowing about the route, I first learned about the route "Suffolk Clipper" all the way back in 2010 Very Happy When I looked into the S110 bus the few times I've seen it pass it never did look all that crowded.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Don't feel so bad about not knowing about the route, I first learned about the route "Suffolk Clipper" all the way back in 2010 Very Happy When I looked into the S110 bus the few times I've seen it pass it never did look all that crowded.

Out of all the routes the S110 is probably the least known, well besides the routes that SCT has cut.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides this bus I know there are other SCT buses that use LIE along their route. Can you name the others?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Besides this bus I know there are other SCT buses that use LIE along their route. Can you name the others?

The S71 uses the LIE to get from Yaphank Road to Sills Road (CR 101) and the 7D uses the LIE North service road to get from the northbound William Floyd to Southbound William Floyd after stopping at the East Yaphank Industrial Site during the few trips it makes there.

Other then those two and the S110, I don't know of any others that use the LIE.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

The S71 uses the LIE to get from Yaphank Road to Sills Road (CR 101) and the 7D uses the LIE North service road to get from the northbound William Floyd to Southbound William Floyd after stopping at the East Yaphank Industrial Site during the few trips it makes there.

There's also at or as approaching Riverhead the S58 and S62.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

The S58 and S62 pass under the LIE in Riverhead, they don't get on it.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

The S58 and S62 pass under the LIE in Riverhead, they don't get on it.
Okay I guess I stand corrected then, it's been way too long since my last trip out that far east.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S110 was started in 1996 with 12 trips. The buses used (which HartBus said were Harran buses) where red and labeled 110 Clipper.

In 1998 the route only made 10 trips and was almost cut because of low ridership.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Any source for this info?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was searching through Newsday.com, I'll go on later and look for it again and provide the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: