BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future of LIB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Future of LIB? Reply with quote

Now that Veolia, Inc. has been designated as the operator of Nassau buses, what will happen to LIB?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see what the numbering scheme would be if they choose to renumber the buses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbering scheme is probably related to whatever computer system Veolia uses. Might even be more than 4 digits. There is a school bus company (maybe Amboy out of SI) that is a sub of a national company. I think they have a six digit livery #.

To my mind the numbering system is not important. What is important is what slime-ball tricks did Alphonse D'Amato pull after his Park Strategies company was retained as a lobbyist.

Of course if NIFA say "Up Yours" to the deal then the numbering issue becomes moot. Wonder if NIFA says 'NO" and MTA doesn't reconsider, then what happens on 1/1? Another MTA temporary extension?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
The numbering scheme is probably related to whatever computer system Veolia uses. Might even be more than 4 digits. There is a school bus company (maybe Amboy out of SI) that is a sub of a national company. I think they have a six digit livery #.

To my mind the numbering system is not important. What is important is what slime-ball tricks did Alphonse D'Amato pull after his Park Strategies company was retained as a lobbyist.

Of course if NIFA say "Up Yours" to the deal then the numbering issue becomes moot. Wonder if NIFA says 'NO" and MTA doesn't reconsider, then what happens on 1/1? Another MTA temporary extension?

Atlantic Express, uses about six digit numbering scheme. (I don't know about SI, but the buses run out of the two Amboy yards that I know of out here in Suffolk are marked with Atlantic Express)

I believe First Student also uses around six digits as well.

If NIFA says no, then I'm guessing that there would be no buses running after 1/1, unless like you say there is some miracle extension, however I would also think that if NIFA says no then Nassau bus riders would look at them unfavorably even though they are suppose to be fix the Naasau's budget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This artcile explains quite a bit in this regard (from Newsday):

"Change is coming for the 100,000 average daily riders of Long Island Bus, with Nassau officials' announcement last week that they have chosen a private operator to take over the county-owned bus system.

Details of the contract are to be worked out over 45 days, officials said Friday. The county legislature and the Nassau Interim Finance Authority must approve the deal before County Executive Edward Mangano gives it the go-ahead.

Here are answers to some key questions surrounding the bus system's evolution.

Why won't the Metropolitan Transportation Authority continue to run LI Bus?

The MTA , which has operated LI Bus under contract for Nassau since 1973, said it needed $26 million more annually than the county was contributing in order to keep existing service levels. Mangano, saying he believed he could get a better deal from a private operator, put the bus contract up for bid.

Who is the new operator?
Veolia Transportation Inc., a company based in Lombard, Ill., just outside Chicago, that operates more than 200 transit systems in the United States and Canada . Veolia runs bus systems in cities including Phoenix and Toronto.

When does the new operator take over?
The MTA 's existing contract with Nassau County ends on Dec. 31. Veolia takes over the next day -- Jan. 1, 2012.

Will I notice a difference?
Eventually. County officials have said they intend to re-brand their bus system with a new name and a new look for its fleet. They also say they plan to offer better service than the MTA and have suggested they will target cleanliness, punctuality and driver friendliness.

What happens to fares?
Veolia has committed to keeping the existing bus fare of $2.25 through 2012. Officials said any terms beyond that are subject to ongoing contract negotiations. The MTA , which raised fares in 2008, 2009 and 2010, plans to raise fares again by 7.5 percent in 2013. In 2009, fares on Veolia's bus system in Las Vegas climbed 40 percent, from $1.25 to $1.75.

Will routes stay the same?
Veolia says it will keep existing routes and service levels through 2012. After that, service cuts will only be considered as a "last resort" and will require public hearings, county officials said.

Will I still be able to use the MetroCard and get free transfers to/from MTA buses and subways?
Maybe. The terms have not been finalized, but county officials said it is possible they will reach a deal with the MTA to continue using the MetroCard and provide free transfers. Westchester's Bee-Line bus system, which is privately operated, has such an arrangement with the MTA.

What happens to LI Bus employees?
With MTA Long Island Bus ceasing to exist, all of its employees will have to find new jobs. The MTA "will consider some of the displaced employees for other job openings within the authority." Veolia officials said the company expects to hire many of its drivers and mechanics from the pool of former LI Bus employees, although under different terms and wages.

How will the system be funded?
County and Veolia officials say the proposed $106-million budget could be achieved through fare revenue and state and federal aid. Nassau plans to contribute between $2.5 million and $4 million. Veolia says it is confident it will be able to attract new riders, bringing in more fare revenue.

What are the potential benefits of a public-private partnership?
Officials with the county and Veolia say they expect to find significant savings, in part because many of LI Bus' existing administrative functions -- such as having its own payroll department -- will be handled in Veolia's central office.

What are the potential disadvantages?
Opponents believe that because the county does not intend to put much money toward the system, Veolia may have to significantly increase fares and/or cut service in future years in order to make a profit."

Source: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/li-bus-moving-toward-new-mode-of-operating-1.2954725
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly this will be a major change.
Question: If this happens successfully, could the NYC transit system eentually be privatized as well?
What are your thoughts on this topic?
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if a company like Veolia were to take over the NYC transit system the first thing they will try to accomplish is standardize the type of buses being used. Why does NYC have such a large diversity of buses in the first place? I can see using both artics and single units depending on route payloads, however IMHO there's too many makes and models currently in use.

Frankie
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
I think if a company like Veolia were to take over the NYC transit system the first thing they will try to accomplish is standardize the type of buses being used. Why does NYC have such a large diversity of buses in the first place? I can see using both artics and single units depending on route payloads, however IMHO there's too many makes and models currently in use.

Frankie

The one model workhorse is the same theory that Southwest Airlines uses. This way bigger discounts on purchases of materials, easier deploying of mechanics, etc.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Clearly this will be a major change.
Question: If this happens successfully, could the NYC transit system eentually be privatized as well?
What are your thoughts on this topic?

Umm, I think you might be pointing at what happened in 2005-2006 to a few private bus lines, which I still don't see the savings to taxpayers. Have to wait for the mayor to change to find out.
Q65A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jobs of current LIB employees probably are at risk, at least with regard to wages, working conditions & benefits.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To begin with, there is a good chance that most of the current LIB employees will be retained - even with changes in salaries, pensions and benefits in the economic climate in which we now live, I believe most would jump at the chance to continue to work - I know I would!

Additionally, where do you think Veolia is going to come up with hundreds of new drivers and mechanics over night who are familiar with the system and equipment - they'd be cutting their own throats pulling a stunt like that!

On another subject; Frankie is so correct in his mention of unification of equipment.

The reason why the PBL's years ago tended to favor one manufacturer was merely because of the lack of space to handle and stock more than one parts department at a time and the continual training that mechanics would require to work on unfamiliar equipment.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully everything will turn out OK.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Public Hearing Dec. 5th Reply with quote

http://www.li-jwj.org/2011/11/nice-bus-deal-for-veolia-bad-for-nassau.html

It appears to be at the Theodore Roosevelt Executive & Legislative Building on 1550 Franklin Avenue in Mineola, I'm just trying to get the word out.
midnytestorm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Future of LIB? Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Now that Veolia, Inc. has been designated as the operator of Nassau buses, what will happen to LIB?

I am a Suffolk resident and rarely take the Nassau buses. Initially I didn't have an issue with LIB being privatized. But I do not believe Veolia should have the power to raise fares and eliminate bus routes.

Now that there is talk of Veolia pulling out of the transit service, I think Nassau County needs to redirect control of its bus service.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest with you all, I've only glanced occasionally at this thread mainly because I've been out of touch with Nassau County operations for so many years - but I do have questions about the future of LIB;

There is talk of privatization of LIB's business and, from what I understand, Veolia may or may not be taking over the operation next month.

In 'privatization', I take it to mean that Nassau County will no longer have any hand in the business and that all assets will be sold to Veolia - if this is not the case and the county continues to control and own the assets than it is not privatization! - it is merely the hiring of a contractor for day to day operations.

It happens that Veolia does have a presence in Los Angeles as a 'contractor' for the operation of at least one line that I know of and that would be the # 218 which is a shuttle between Cedars Sinai Medical Center in West Hollywood to the San Fernando Valley via Laural Canyon Boulevard.

The buses are owned, liveried and flagged for the MTA.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: