BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suffolk Bus Route Cuts Are Possible in 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidRJbuses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Suffolk Bus Route Cuts Are Possible in 2012 Reply with quote

At a time when Nassau bus riders face uncertainty with the pending turnover of Long Island Bus from the MTA to Veolia, there is now additional bad news concerning Suffolk buses.

According to this past Wednesday's (Oct. 18, 2011) Newsday, Suffolk County Transit may be forced to eliminate up to 15 bus routes in 2012 if County Executive Steve Levy's proposed budget, which calls for "severe" cuts, passes. The article makes no mention of which specific routes may be cut, but I think S76, which goes from Stony Brook to Port Jefferson, may top the list of endangered routes.

What do you think of this? Which Suffolk bus routes do you think may be eliminated? Which routes do you think should be eliminated?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Suffolk Bus Route Cuts Are Possible in 2012 Reply with quote

DavidRJbuses wrote:
At a time when Nassau bus riders face uncertainty with the pending turnover of Long Island Bus from the MTA to Veolia, there is now additional bad news concerning Suffolk buses.

According to this past Wednesday's (Oct. 18, 2011) Newsday, Suffolk County Transit may be forced to eliminate up to 15 bus routes in 2012 if County Executive Steve Levy's proposed budget, which calls for "severe" cuts, passes. The article makes no mention of which specific routes may be cut, but I think S76, which goes from Stony Brook to Port Jefferson, may top the list of endangered routes.

What do you think of this? Which Suffolk bus routes do you think may be eliminated? Which routes do you think should be eliminated?

I normally don't believe much of what Newsday prints, however in the passed when Suffolk had to possible cut routes or did they knew and had printed the routes that would be eliminated.

I like however that now Newsday can tell the difference between Nassau buses and Suffolk Transit. In an article either last year or the year before Newsday said that LIB and Suffolk Transit where the same system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: It's all overblown Reply with quote

Wednesday was the 19th, but with that aside the article has stated, from solid sources that this is more a politically ploy, than a practical possibly. Remember that the county in the past few years has expanded lines (S110 anyone?) and service (Sunday runs over the past summer seemed to run well). With a new County Exec coming in my thoughts are these will only expand, with someone open to looking at it without being so critically about fares (Yes, I understand they would go higher, but if I'm not mistaken the polling was for it, considering what we would get for it). One just has to look at the full SCT bus map to see areas where bus service could be added, and making county wide year round Sunday service (Seriously where was this time around S58 in their Sunday service plans?) to know things have to get better. This past week I've had potential full time employers ask about my use public transit to get there, here in Suffolk, and I'd seriously like that to be the non-issue it is in Nassau and NYC in the coming years.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: It's all overblown Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Wednesday was the 19th, but with that aside the article has stated, from solid sources that this is more a politically ploy, than a practical possibly. Remember that the county in the past few years has expanded lines (S110 anyone?) and service (Sunday runs over the past summer seemed to run well). With a new County Exec coming in my thoughts are these will only expand, with someone open to looking at it without being so critically about fares (Yes, I understand they would go higher, but if I'm not mistaken the polling was for it, considering what we would get for it). One just has to look at the full SCT bus map to see areas where bus service could be added, and making county wide year round Sunday service (Seriously where was this time around S58 in their Sunday service plans?) to know things have to get better. This past week I've had potential full time employers ask about my use public transit to get there, here in Suffolk, and I'd seriously like that to be the non-issue it is in Nassau and NYC in the coming years.

The S110 was expanded?

I know the 7D, S71, and S63 were expanded or changed in the last three years.

Also I thought Levy's proposed budget was higher then the stated 2.7 Million. The Mr. Anderson head of the DPW (as well as SCT) is probably sore that the DPW has been getting into trouble withe the County Comptroller, one issue was with the awarding of the Para Transit contract.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the S110 I guess I was confused.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
On the S110 I guess I was confused.

As far as I know the S110 has always been the same, though the first time I learned about the S110 was back in 2003, so maybe someone else here knows more about its history
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: