BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXCLUSIVE 5556 and 6646 PICS from the Steam Pipe Explosion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bee Flexible #823

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: EXCLUSIVE 5556 and 6646 PICS from the Steam Pipe Explosion Reply with quote

EXCLUSIVE FILM PICS!!!
My digital camera is currently being repaired. Enjoy!!!

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE 5556 and 6646 PICS from the Steam Pipe Explosi Reply with quote

[quote="Bee Flexible #823"]EXCLUSIVE FILM PICS!!!
My digital camera is currently being repaired. Enjoy!!!

Bee Flexible,

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but neither of the two buses in your photos was involved in the steam pipe burst.

Both buses in the New York Times photo (7/19) appear to be the same model as your # 5556 which has its front fleet number directly over the right directional signal.

In the Times picture (below) both buses have their front fleet numbers away from the directional signal and closer to the front door.

Unless you are implying that the buses in your pictures just happened to be in the vicinity of the event, but not the ones involved.

The large and very clear photo of the two coaches standing about fifteen feet from the actual sink hole and covered in debris can be found on page A20 (New York Report) of the 7/19 National Edition of the paper.

Please see photo below;

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God that those artics on Lex were not directly over the crater (unlike the tow truck and its poor driver).
Those initial steam billows were very alarming.
My company's NY headquarters is located at 466 Lex, and I often pass near the blast site, but I was not in NY on Wednesday.
My condolences go out to the poor woman who died and to those who were injured, but it is nothin short of a miracle that there were not many more casualties.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

How right you are!

The Artics could have been in the middle and the School Bus could have been filled with kids!

There could have been hundreds of injuries and possible deaths.

And the most shocking part of it is that it can happen again at any time anywhere in Manhattan! (it's like playing Russian Roulette!).

We have a similar situation here in the Mid Wilshire section of Los Angeles which is subject to Methane Gas explosions which, only a few years ago, wiped out a 'Ross for Less' store near Wilshire and Fairfax.

I'm no geologist but I think there are pockets of these gases which result from pools of oil that still exist in the area (you can actually still see 'crude' oozing to the surface at the La Brea Tar Pits!).

I second your thanks that so few were injured the other day.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Bee Flexible #823

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Mr. Linksy. 5556 and 6646 were not directly involved in the steam pipe explosion but they were nearby and were affected. 6646 was on 42 Street and Lex Ave on the M104 while 5556 pulled into the bus stop at 42 St and Lex Ave behind 5397 I believe on the M101.
5556 was dirtier than 6646 was as you can see in the photos.
5397 and 5551 were the main buses that were involved. My bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: