BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alert Coach MCI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Alert Coach MCI Reply with quote

Yesterday while in Medford, I saw an Alert Coach MCI (I didn't catch the number) come up NYS 112 and turn onto Horse Block Road heading East. The bus was then making a left off Horse Block. I believe it could have been heading to a school in the Pat-Med School District.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alert Coach, while primarily a school bus operation, does have several OTR coaches for charter and occasional LIRR relief.

I rode an MCI-7 in the early 1980's on an ill-fated route from WW Mall to Main Street / Roosevelt Avenue. They also used a Prevost Challenger and Flx (non-a/c) Suburban.

If you should ever catch an independent film called "Sunburn" you'll see an Alert MCI in a gray and burgundy livery in Montauk.

They also have/had some MCI-9's in with black and blue stripes on a white background with letters reminding me of an earlier Harran livery.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Alert Coach, while primarily a school bus operation, does have several OTR coaches for charter and occasional LIRR relief.

I rode an MCI-7 in the early 1980's on an ill-fated route from WW Mall to Main Street / Roosevelt Avenue. They also used a Prevost Challenger and Flx (non-a/c) Suburban.

If you should ever catch an independent film called "Sunburn" you'll see an Alert MCI in a gray and burgundy livery in Montauk.

They also have/had some MCI-9's in with black and blue stripes on a white background with letters reminding me of an earlier Harran livery.

I didn't know Alert Coach had school buses, I had always thought that they were the coach arm of Baumann & Sons/Acme.

The bus I saw looked like the older MCI express buses the MTA has. (I forgot to mention that in the orignal post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:

I didn't know Alert Coach had school buses, I had always thought that they were the coach arm of Baumann & Sons/Acme.

The bus I saw looked like the older MCI express buses the MTA has. (I forgot to mention that in the orignal post.

From what I know from 25 years ago, the reason Alert went into the OTR business was to cover charters from the school districts they served. Acme was sold off at least 10 years ago to Hudson General (the airline/airport support company).
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:

From what I know from 25 years ago, the reason Alert went into the OTR business was to cover charters from the school districts they served. Acme was sold off at least 10 years ago to Hudson General (the airline/airport support company).

Alert could have had school buses 25 years ago, as I read that Baumann & Sons was created to transport kids from the Baumann's summer camp that they had. So they could have changed Alert form a School Bus Company to a OTR and Chater company as so not to have to by a lot of school buses from three different companies.

Alert must have branched out there charter service for schools, because as far as I've been told Pat-Med doesn't have Baumann & Sons as a contractor, they Have Suffolk Transportation Service who took over the contracts and yard of United Bus Corp. I know Baumann & Sons did try an get the contract a few years ago but United fought them when they had won it.

Acme was sold off, they are still considered part of the same family of companies according to the website. Or did they sell the original Acme company and then start a new company with the name Acme? or possible did the other three get sold to Hudson General as well?

I know that the Acme/Baumann yard in Medford is listed under the name Brookset Bus Company (another company owned by the Baumann's)

The only thing different between the four companies is that Acme (according to State records) was registered in Nassau.

Baumann & Sons is the oldest, registered in 1959 and Brookset is the youngest registered in 1976.

Acme was registered in 1960 and Alert was registered in 1966.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: