BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'SECOND AVENUE'S SECOND LIFE'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: 'SECOND AVENUE'S SECOND LIFE' Reply with quote

The demise of New York's Second Avenue EL line wasn't necessarily a death knell for at least 90 of its antiquated passenger cars as can be seen in the interesting story below.

Thanks go to Key Rail Pix and Motor Coach Age for most of the information and to the Joe Testagrose Collection for the lower frame photo taken at 34th. Street in 1939.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

The Shipyard Railway was an electric railroad line, rapidly constructed during World War II to transport workers to and from the Kaiser Shipyards located in the San Francisco suburb of Richmond, California.

The United States Maritime Commission searched and found 90 obsolete New York City EL cars awaiting scrap. This wood-bodied equipment had been built in 1890 for the City's IRT Second Avenue Line, initially being pulled by steam locomotives and then fitted with traction motors and controls about 1900.

The cars were originally configured for high-level platforms and a third rail power source, but were roughly adapted to street level operation from overhead wiring for their second lives.

The Key System (operator of the line) did not possess enough pantographs for every car, so they placed one on each married pair which proved to be a challenge as the old wood roofs could hardly support the weight of the equipment.

Some high level platforms were built, and Key's newest cars (known as Bridge Units), were operated on the line while New York's coaches were being fitted with makeshift steps to street level. These cars became the symbol of the 'Shipyard Railway'.

At the end of World War II, the Shipyard Railway was offered to Key but was declined, viewing the line as unprofitable and service ended on September 30, 1945 with the line being quickly dismantled and replaced by buses.

Shipyard cars #561 and #563, a married pair, are preserved at the Western Railway Museum. #561 is restored and is believed to be the oldest operational electric car in the United States. #563 is under restoration.

traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a good story. Thanks so much for providing it, Mr. 'L'.

What is amazing to me is how the "Greatest Generation", and their Can-Do attitude was able to accomplish this feat in such a short time.
When I think about all the trials and tribulations of building a contemporary transit line nowadays (Second Avenue subway come to mind?), I have to shake my head sadly, and roll my eyes.
Sometimes I know I was born much too late..... Sad Rolling Eyes
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver,

I was under the impression that these IRT cars were the most traveled in railroad history what with their 50 years and millions of miles in New York followed by 5 years on the west coast but, I was wrong because New York's turn of the century BMT coaches ran for 65 years (see below).

In either case, it's amazing and exemplifies product quality unheard of today!

Photo from NYC Subways site.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' - traildriver - All -

We may still be able to produce equipment with longevity. Much of the current problems trace directly to the current
state of financing. With it, a mandate the equipment run a specified "service life" (varies by vehicle type).

What this does to human behavior? Much incentive to run the equipment right out to the day of an "xx" years period.
At the point, same operator can turn in a claim for all new replacement! The "fire under the pot" is logic: If operator
doesn't get the "fresh money" than someone else will.

Whether designated "service life" expectancies coincide with Treasury Dept. Depreciation Schedules may, or may not,
be so. (Need a tax attorney here! <G>)...

........................Vern..................
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
traildriver,

I was under the impression that these IRT cars were the most traveled in railroad history what with their 50 years and millions of miles in New York followed by 5 years on the west coast but, I was wrong because New York's turn of the century BMT coaches ran for 65 years (see below).

In either case, it's amazing and exemplifies product quality unheard of today!

Photo from NYC Subways site.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Yes, Mr. 'L', I used to ride those BMT 'Q' type cars home occasionally from high school on the Myrtle Avenue Local. I recall their wood composite construction, and the leather straps for standees.

As for longevity, the oldest cars still operating for the NYC Subway, the 1964 Budd Company built type R-32's are quietly creeping up on the record of those 'Q's. These stainless steel units still have many years to go, but with minimal maintenance, they certainly have the capability to do it....
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver,

By far, I think the best cars that the city ever had were the 'R-1's designed and built for the new IND system beginning in 1930 to the same specifications by Pressed Steel Car Company, St. Louis Car Company, Pullman Standard and ACF (Berwick Plant) (the only way you could tell who made the car was by the bronze plaques over the communicating doors at either end of the coach).

These were smart looking all steel cars with solid brass window frames and comfortable cane seating and could travel just about as fast as their eight wheels would let them.

For the 39/40 World's Fair they were all refinished in polished dark brown with 'CITY OF NEW YORK' sprawled across amidships in gold leaf.

I defy anyone who would contradict me when I say that the R-1's could still be running today, tomorrow and maybe forever is they had let them!

Among my meager memorabilia collection I possess one of the four porcelain signs from car # 1163 that I picked up in the 80's at Stamford House Wreckers where they had a truckless R-1 sitting in the middle of their lot.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. 'L', I absolutely agree with you. Those cars were built to last, and they along with the subsequent series of cars through the R-9's, set the design that is still pretty much followed with todays latest R-160's, albeit with much improved technology.

Interesting that you selected that shot, as the background shows a little of the distinctive corrugated stainless steel body of my aforementioned Budd-built R-32. That all stainless construction is what makes that model able to outlast cars that were built much later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: