BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Put on your thinking cap! EAGLE 01 quiz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Put on your thinking cap! EAGLE 01 quiz Reply with quote

I'm just curious if anyone knows what the '57 Ford and '56 DeSoto have in common with the earliest Eagle Model 01 buses?

Answer in a couple of days (if not sooner)!

Frankie
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it was the taillamp assembly.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
i think it was the taillamp assembly.

My '56 DeSoto Firedome with its 331 Hemi, had a triple verticle tail lamp cluster on each side. The '57 Ford had a single large tail lamp.

I am trying to rack my brain, but you've got me stumped!
I remember my DeS had a push-button Powerflite tranny, the '57 Ford Skyliner had a retractible hardtop, but those were some of the more memorable features of those cars. What could the Eagle have in common? The Ford and the Eagle had 'wrap-around' windshields, but I wouldn't describe the one on my DeS as such....
frankie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Traildriver, you can stop racking your brain! Q65A pretty much hit the nail on the head. The Belgium firm of La Brugeoise was contracted by Continental to build the first Model 01 buses in 1960 to replace the Kassbohrer buses used by Continental on a test-trial basis that started in 1956 as a replacement for the Flxible Vista-Liners. In essence, the La Brugeoise buses closely resembled the Kassbohrer, but the design were more refined that included redesigned front and rear upper body caps. The front and rear side windows were restyled with slanted ends and all larger side windows were reproportioned to be the same size.

The three vertical tail lights were from the contemporary '56 DeSoto and used in 1960 and 1961. The larger tail lamp on each side was from the '57 Ford and first appeared on later Kassbohrer buses and lasted until 1969.

Frankie

Images from Google and used for educational purposes only.

traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I never knew that! Thanks for that fascinating bit of trivia. Love it!

I also don't remember that 'mesh' type engine door. It was later replaced on newer Eagles in the summertime with a soda can to prop open said door to prevent overheating. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: