BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information needed o Utility Lines and Bee Line Routes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Mr. Schenck,
I am confused. A couple by the name of Combs owned Long Beach Bus Company, Nassau Bus Lines, Branch Bus Line, and had some affiliation with Rockville Centre Bus Corporation and possibly Bee Line.

The photo below which is a 1938 Mack model 'CW' and is standing on Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway sometime in the forties is believed to be a piece of Bee Line equipment and history does note that Nassau Bus Lines often used buses from other divisions for their routes.

A strong magnification will discern the Bee Line (busy bee) logo under the windshield and on the side of the coach.

Any logical answers?

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa193/MISTERLINSKY/fr1940scentralmott.jpg[/img]

The logical answer could be that it is not exactly a Bee Line bus. Long Beach Bus which for a while was owned by Harry Carter, could have put a "Bee" logo on the front??? And LB Bus until late 1941 owned the LB-Far Rock route. Or maybe they slipped one in to confuse future people.

Ellsworth and Helen Combs owned several Long Island bus companies, one of which, Rockville Centre Bus, they sold Harry Carter (Bee Line). It gets very complicated, as which route was sold to whom and back and when.

The Combs' eventually kept Nassau Bus (along with the LB-Far Rock route from LB Bus) until they passed away. Nassau Bus was then purchased by Schenck.

Where Branch Bus fits in this mess, aside from purchasing the LB-Point Lookout route later, I have no idea, yet.

Bob K
d.marra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Bob K & Mr. Linsky;

Thanks for your replys, between us old veterans, we will try to get this Schenck history together. Before I go on, I started with Schenck Transportation Co in Feb 1957, as a driver. I stayed with Schenck until June 1973, the MSBA Takeover. On my off time, and days off, from MSBA, I continued to drive for Schenck through the summer of 1975.
Prior to Schenck, I drove for Star Bus Lines, Bellmore (6 months) from Aug 1956 till Feb 57.
The "nickname Mr. Schenck" was bestowed on me by the famous Guy Lombardo who lived in Freeport where I frequently drove charters to his East Point House Restaurant and Jones Beach Theatre.
Every time he saw me, he would yell out Hi Mr. Schenck. The name stuck with me all these years.

I stand corrected, as I did get my H's mixed up, naming Huntington, instead of Hendrickson as the operator of Glen Cove-Bayville and Oyster Bay-to Syosset. I first knew of Hendrickson in 1956, when I rode one of their buses from Hempstead to Glen Cove and back.
Howard E. Schenck owned a few bus companies besides the one that had his name. He had ties to more than half the buses in Nassau County. When we took delivery of our first GMC Fishbowl's in 1960, we found out that Schenck bought fishbowls for other local operators to get the buses at a cheaper "Fleet" price.
As for the Bee Line/ North Shore history, that was way before my time, and I only knew of the NYCTA taking over the North Shore routes in Queens. My only interest at the time was in Schencks history.
During my years at Schenck, I learned of the old North Shore routes they aquirred from Flushing to Glen Cove, and Jamaica to Mineola & Hicksville.

Jamaica-Hicksville route consisted of three segments, two of which were an old Trolley Line that came out of Flushing, along Northern Blvd, down a trestle to the Roslyn Clock Tower, to Mineola, and east to Hicksville via Westbury Ave.
That's it for tonight. Any additional info or corrections are Welcome..
G'night

Mr. Schenck aka Daniel M.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this topic is old but i have just recently learned that Utility Lines also operated a route from Patchouge to Ronkonkoma Via Selden. My guess that route is today the 7A.

I also heard that Suffolk and MSBA had a money disagreement and thats why the N19 was broken up.

And also all three routes (if the one i mentioned above was run by them) all ended up being given to Suffolk Bus Corp
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a brief text from an 1970 New York Times article about $480000.00 that was giving to 19 LI Bus companies for Maintenance.

One of the companies is said to be Utility Lines of Suffolk Bus Corporation at Bay Shore

Last edited by S-60 To Smith Haven Mall on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andy47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee Line also owned Stage Coach Lines after about 1965, taking it over from prior operator Checker Bus Corp. (based in Hempstead). The most important Stage route was today's N72 along Hempstead Turnpike between Hempstead Terminal and Farmingdale. So it's interesting that the two biggest Nassau County private operators - Bee and Schenck - also expanded to control smaller operators. Bee owned Utility and Stage; Schenck owned Nassau Bus and briefly (after 1969) Universal Bus in Great Neck.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy47 wrote:
Bee Line also owned Stage Coach Lines after about 1965, taking it over from prior operator Checker Bus Corp. (based in Hempstead). The most important Stage route was today's N72 along Hempstead Turnpike between Hempstead Terminal and Farmingdale. So it's interesting that the two biggest Nassau County private operators - Bee and Schenck - also expanded to control smaller operators. Bee owned Utility and Stage; Schenck owned Nassau Bus and briefly (after 1969) Universal Bus in Great Neck.

So either who ever typed up the article made a mistake or could have Utility Lines been quietly owned by both companies, were Bee-Line owned the Nassau portion and Suffolk Bus Corp ran the Suffolk side, And nobody knew because Utility Lines had more lines in Nassau so Bee-Line owned a bigger part of the company?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: