BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'SOME OF NASSAU'S PRE MSBA FLEET'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: 'SOME OF NASSAU'S PRE MSBA FLEET' Reply with quote

The attachment is courtesy of the December 1973 Motor Coach Age and is a cross section of some of the private lines that operated in Nassau County before MSBA.

BTW; I rode in Nassau Bus Lines Ford # 105 (shown) many times as a kid on trips to Long Beach and Far Rockaway from our summer home.

Harry, the regular driver, was a rather large framed jovial fellow (less a couple of front teeth) and always had a smile on his face.

Enjoy,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L: This issue came out just before I joined the MBS back in late '74. Is this page part of a full issue article? I would love to get a hold of that issue. I'm hoping that the MBS would do some full length articles on each of these pre-MSBA companies sometime in the future.

I spent many a summer day back in the early '60's riding my bicycle from Mineola to the Hempstead bus terminal and spending hours there just bus watching. A great meeting place for different bus companies including Macks, GM's and sprinkle or two of some Transit (Checker) buses. Next to the entrance to the terminal from the loading platforms, there was a pizza stand and once you're inside there was a Nedicks along with a coin shop where I never went home without new additions to my coin collection! Ahh the memories!

I could kick myself now for not having a camera then! Hindsight is indeed 20-20!

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,

The December 1973 Motor Coach Age was almost entirely devoted to an article entitled 'Nassau County New York Bus Story' with a second very short blurb on Kennedy Airport's internal bus services.

The front cover, as seen below, features fleet number 155 - a 1966 GM Coach Model TDH 5304 operating for the Rockville Centre Bus Corporation and purchased used from Nassau Bus Lines at the time of Nassau's absorption into Schenck Transportation.

I have also scanned another interesting page for you.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been pointed out by my learned colleague Jimbo, the Freeport Bus Company report that was originally posted here was erroneous and I apologize for the error.

Until I come up with something better, enjoy a mid 1960's photo of Bee Line # 664 passing 89th. Avenue in Jamaica on its way to Hempstead.

#664 was a 1965 GM TDH 5304 delivered to Bee Line, Inc. of Rockville Centre, New York in November of 1965.

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{and operating for the Freeport Bus Lines, Inc. presumably of Freeport.}

Looks like the operator of the Freeport bus is "FREEMAN BUS LINES".
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo,

Looks like you're right.

Unfortunately, the caption on eBay marked it as Freeport - my error.

Sorry about that.

I will expunge the article.

Regards, Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Bruce K. of eBay for letting me borrow (for educational purposes only) this very nice image of fleet number 241 - a 1948 Mack Model C-41-GT (gas) and one of eight (241 to 248) operating for the Hempstead Bus Corporation of Uniondale, Long Island, New York.

Hempstead, a medium sized private transit and charter operator, had its beginnings in 1926 as a successor to the New York and Long Island Traction Company.

The company's routes, which radiated from a transit hub in the Village of Hempstead, basically serviced Nassau County's south shore with commuter connections to Jamaica in Queens.

# 241 and its siblings represented Hempstead's first post war order and were followed in the very beginning of the fifties by twenty 45 passenger Diesel powered Macks to round out its modern fleet.

#241 is seen in its stylish tones red and beige sometime in 1949 in the Village of Hempstead and signed for the Hempstead/Freeport run.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the Long Island Lighting Company had the image below taken in September of 1953 of the then new Hempstead Bus Terminal.

The first bus in the row which appears to be a GM Old Look is unknown to me but I believe that the Ford and the two Mack's in the background are all Hempstead Bus Corporation's equipment.

Credits;

Photo by Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc.,
Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L: The first bus in question looks like one of 338 Yellow Coach Model 739 buses built between 1937 and 1941. From my understanding they were originally built without standee windows, but were added later to complement the first old looks. These had GM 400-cubic inch gas engines and with a rear door, they accommodated 25 passengers. Note the single full window behind the emergency/rear door on both buses.

Public Service of New Jersey had similar buses in their fleet, but were designated as model 1203. Public Service had all 95 of this particular model built and unlike the 739's, the 1203 had a GM 2-cycle 4-cylinder diesel engine.

Photo courtesy of the "Yellow Coach Book" by Bill Luke for educational purpose only.

Frankie

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frankie,

It crossed my mind that that was one of those final pre-old looks such as NJPS had with the 'Old Look' transoms.

The angle of the rear treatment was what made me hesitate in committing myself to actually calling it an old look.

Nice photo.

Good work.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: