BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Bus Nostalgia'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

According to Mack production records The Motor Transit Lines CT as demonstrated in this thread was registered as a 1937 Model 6-CT-3S.

Registrations are almost always determined by the chassis and not the body.

In this case however it wouldn't have really mattered because the front and rear clips were provided by Mack and made the coach unmistakably a Mack product.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' -

Thanks! Agree. Often we would see vehicles wherein the MVA of record, issuing the Registration, relied on named chassis builder.
With highway trucks, I've noted the practice with "glider kits". Original chassis designation prevailed.

Something that muddies the waters? Examples where some of the builders would conspicuously place its own marques. An example
of that the GAR WOOD product (need to get back to the few photos)?...

..........................Vern.....................
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often talked about the Flxible Clippers especially in conjunction with my various pieces on New York's Carey Transportation - a one time premiere connection carrier from Manhattan to all three major metropolitan airports, and an avid Flxible customer.

The choice of power plant for their sleek lightning fast coaches was an old fashioned but beefed up Buick straight eight 'Fire Ball' engine even though other more powerful motors were available.

Pictured is a circa 1952 ad appearing in Bus Transportation Magazine touting what power plants were available but for some strange reason omitting an also optional GM 6-71 Detroit Diesel (I can't imagine why!).

Enjoy,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
I've often talked about the Flxible Clippers especially in conjunction with my various pieces on New York's Carey Transportation - a one time premiere connection carrier from Manhattan to all three major metropolitan airports, and an avid Flxible customer.

The choice of power plant for their sleek lightning fast coaches was an old fashioned but beefed up Buick straight eight 'Fire Ball' engine even though other more powerful motors were available.

Pictured is a circa 1952 ad appearing in Bus Transportation Magazine touting what power plants were available but for some strange reason omitting an also optional GM 6-71 Detroit Diesel (I can't imagine why!).

Enjoy,

I used to enjoy seeing those going up and down Main Street, outside my old JHS218 back in 1959 to 1961....
They were on the Idlewild to LaGuardia run for Carey. The newer 4104's and 4106's were on the Manhattan routes, but for a rare exception, occasionally.

The last ride I had on one of those was on Flxible loyal-to-the-end Continental Air Transport from O'Hare to the Loop in the early '70's. They were among the last, if not the last, to buy Flxible. The MC-5B finally succeeded them and the bigger Flxiliner's in CAT's fleet.

The thing I remember most of them, was their outstanding ride on BF Goodrich Torsilastic suspension. IMHO, better even than the air-ride. The Eagle buses also used that suspension.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' - T.D. -

My recollections of same era. Last of these FLXIBLES recall riding, on the O'HARE - LOOP services in Chicago.
Same operator may have also run "lines" serving MIDWAY, too...

........................Vern.................
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Continental Air Transport was to Chicago as Carey was to NYC. Both old well respected companies. They were originally Frank Parmalee's carriage company transferring passengers between the various Chicago railway terminals. They are now known as GO Airport Express.
JUSXTREME96

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:

The records indicate that Green Line did take delivery of 15 RTS II T8H-203’s numbered 1001 to 1015 (ser# 0938 to 0952) in October of 1979 and it is likely that these are the buses that were in question because of the usual six months of lead time between order and delivery.

Mr. Linsky – Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Dear Mr L, et. al. According to an inventory list, I made up from two visits to the DOT Graveyard in East Carnarsie in 2000, here is what I gleam:

1 - GBL RTS's # 1007 and 1009 were there June 7, 2000. and August 23
2000. # 1007 had no engine inside on either date.

2 - GBL RTS's # 1003, 1005, 1013 and 1015 were housed in the Varsity
School Bus Company yard nearby on Fountain Avenue and Wortman
Street. I believe that the Coopers own Varsity, but am not sure.

1007 had no engine since 1998.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this very interesting cover of a Mack Brochure touting their 1930 to 1940 line.

While the top early thirties Model 'CL' and the bottom late thirties Model 'CW' are interesting, the center bus has very particular meaning for me.

It is fleet number G517 - a 1935 Model 'CX' and one of thirty-five (G501 to G535) delivered to Green Bus Lines of Long Island City, New York in August of that year.

You might say that these little 30 passenger cab over engine coaches were almost custom built for Green Line as only fifty were produced.

These were the only group of buses ever to be delivered to the company in the livery shown and were the last to carry a 'G' prefix with the fleet number.

Some of the 500's were sold to Avenue B and East Broadway in the late forties.

Sorry for the quality of the photos which were borrowed for educational purposes only.

Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that GBL was a major Mack customer pre-WWII, but did not purchase postwar Macks.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Green Bus Lines was considered to be a very major Mack prewar customer with 217 on the property between 1933 and 1943 (this does not include a handful of odd Mack's that were worthy of keeping as a result of acquisitions of other companies along the way).

Funny things happened immediately after the war though; Triboro, a devout ACF client suddenly switched to GM, Jamaica and Surface, both devoted to Twin, switched to Mack (although Surface did received their first Mack orders just before the war), North Shore, another Twin devotee, went to GM, and East Side and Comprehensive as well as Green Line went from Mack to GM.

In Green Line's case, I can tell you that their last shipment of Mack's (10 Model CM's in 1940) had paint defects and they wanted to return the buses for complete repaints which Mack refused to do but did give them credits which do show up on my rare company spread sheets.

This episode must have soured the relationship with Mack because Green Line canceled a standing order for the first available Macks after the war.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those details, Mr. L!
jkdelz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi this is my first post here. By the way I'm John.

I've found this, in an old bus photos site. They are some old, some newer & some famous music stars bus photos. Pictures below were taken at year 1942 and the 2nd one was on 1943.

This one was the famous bus before in Santa Fe Trailways.

This one was the first bus built by Americans in 1901.

- Mr. John Kramer low floor minibus

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein
Q65A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice histroic pix, John!
Thanks and welcome to BTN!!!
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum John. Good to have you aboard for the ride! The top two are Aerocoach buses and the bottom one is a .... hmmm! I think it's a Mack. LOL

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkdelz,

Yes, I second or third the motion in welcoming you to BusTalk - we look forward to your valuable input and contributions.

The Mack that you posted was indeed one of the first built by the fledgling company and was a 20 passenger convertible sightseer dubbed 'The Manhattan'.

While it is unclear as to whether it was fabricated at the original carriage shop on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn or at the company's later (1905) factory in Allentown, Pennsylvania, it is certain that it was the first to be sold and was sold to a gentlemen in Brooklyn for use in sightseeing around Prospect Park.

#9, as it is known officially, now makes its home at the Mack Truck Museum in Allentown.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 38 of 47

Jump to: