BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Just a Bit of Brooklyn Nostalgia'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: 'Just a Bit of Brooklyn Nostalgia' Reply with quote

Just a little 'Brooklyn' nostalgia;

Pictured below is a refurbished PCC # 1053 in San Francisco carrying the livery of the New York City Board of Transportation together with appropriate logos circa 1950.

The car is seen in regular service on the 'F' line between the North Beach district and Market and Castro downtown.

I am uncertain as to whether the trolley actually came from New York originally or is just a reasonable facsimile.

As a Post Script; this piece is particularly nostalgic to the writer; when we were kids back in the early fifties, we used to hop the 'F' (coincidental) train at Union Turnpike in Kew Gardens and go all the way to the end of the line which, in those days, was McDonald and Church in Brooklyn.

There, we not only saw a parade of PCC cars but had the greatest 'egg creams' on earth at a nearby soda shop!

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, New York

See attachment

Cyberider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, Mr. Linsky, even if it is a newer model PCC than those that ran in Brooklyn.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
Looking good, Mr. Linsky, even if it is a newer model PCC than those that ran in Brooklyn.

Dave,

Now that I think of it, I seem to remember seeing an old photograph some time ago of a junk yard (possibly in Brooklyn) filled with deommissioned PCC cars piled on top of one another like pancakes.

I also remember thinking how shameful it was to have let such interesting pieces of transit history go to waste!

In looking closely at the NYC Subway listing that I sent you, it appears that virtually every PCC order was different (obviously tailored for the specific operators needs).

I guess the fact that they were really 'custom made' makes them even more fascinating!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original intent was to standardize as much as possible. However, different lengths were available, Pullman and St. Louis did certain things differently, different windows were specified, windshields were tilted in, narrow gauge for L.A., wide gauge for Pittsburgh or Philadelphia (can't remember which one) and eventually wider bodies like on L.A.'s post-war order. I have several large books devoted to the subject I got about 25 years ago. Maybe it's time to get them out to re-read!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: