BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book: The Lunatic Express

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Everywhere Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Book: The Lunatic Express Reply with quote

Book recommendation:
The Lunatic Express, by Carl Hoffman, 2010.

I didn't skip paragraphs, pages, or chapters, yet this engaging book was an easy read, captivating for sure. The author decided to travel around the world on public conveyances that had horrible safety records: from Washington, to Cuba, Latin America, Africa, Asia, and back across the United States. I will try to list the bus segments of his adventure:
1) China bus from D.C. to New York. Greyhound to Toronto for the flight to Havana.
2) Then by low-fare bus from Bogata to Quito, Guayaquil, Lima, Cusco, and to the Amazon basin at Puerto Maldonado. Then by taxi, boat, plane to Africa.
3) In Kenya, night bus from Mombasa to Nairobi. This is followed by the most interesting ten pages of the book. He talks himself into accompanying a local matutu driver (sort of IBOA) for more than an entire day of work, repairs, and meals. It is a fascinating study of hard work for small pay. A helper not only hustles patrons and checks clearances, but pays off the police on route.
4) In India, he takes the long-distance bus from Kolkata (Calcutta) to Patna.
5) From Kabul, Afghanistan, he dons Afghan clothing and rides over the Salang Pass (really through a Russian-built tunnel at 11,200 foot altitude) to Mazar-i-Sharif and back to Kabul. Mind you, he finds a guide for many of these jaunts.
6) He flies to China, and takes a bus from Hohhot to the Mongolian border, a truck to Ulan Bator, and rail to Vladivostok.
7) Greyhound from Los Angeles to an equipment breakdown in Frederick. These pages, though in the U.S., are very interesting.
----
One of his major points is that many people who are poor need to travel long distances. The economy does not provide for safety. People earn pennies, and tires with good treads cost money. Reckless speed means more trips and more income. He does not travel upper or middle class but rather with the majority of the world. I had to agree with most of his insights about our world, but not from any experience of mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Everywhere Else All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: