BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Another Ex Green Liner Found'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: 'Another Ex Green Liner Found' Reply with quote

Pictured below is ex Green Bus Lines #160 (1959 GM TDH 5106 delivered to the property as part of a set of ten -151 to 160 - in March of 1959).

Some time shortly thereafter, all of the group where sold off with seven going to two Chicago area operators, and three (156, 159 and 160) to the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company as 250, 251 and the pictured 252.

Apparently, at least # 252 was then either sold or transferred to the Red Arrow Bus Lines with the livery which appears in the photo.

The bus looks pretty well worn; notice the less than perfect paint job which included a swipe at the chromium bumper, and the absence of both the lower set of stainless steel wings and ventilators under the windshield (a far cry from its once colorful Green Line apple green and cream trademark!).

Many thanks to Dennis M. Linsky of Philadelphia for this unusual find, and the permission to use it.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica and Arverne, New York

Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like just about the last of it's breed. Still, a good looking bus. Wonder when this photo was taken and when the bus was finally retired?
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
Sounds like just about the last of it's breed. Still, a good looking bus. Wonder when this photo was taken and when the bus was finally retired?

Dave,

There's really no way for me to tell when the picture was taken - I will ask Dennis because I think he may know the photographer.

Considering that these buses had a built in life expectancy of at least twenty years, I would say that it could have been as late as 1980 (just an educated guess because I know nothing of the history of the company involved).

In more carefully examining the photo I see something that I can't explain; notice that on the upper end of the left leaves of the front door there seems to be a long narrow object that looks like a rear view mirror assembly - but, that would be a very unusual place to install such a thing! (I'm certain that it didn't come from Green Line!).

See if you can figure it out.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of blurry to tell for sure but that's what it looks like. I've never seen one there either. Ah yes, 20-year-plus life expectancy instead of the 12-year overpriced junk we have now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: