BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic Metal Works GM TDH-3610
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmiB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Rob,

Paint job is great and very accurate for the RBCo. earlier livery (I like the other buses in the photo too!).

BTW; if Reading et al operated any 3610's they would have to have been used because records show no 'new' purchases.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

I don't believe that Reading had any 3610's.
That is a very accurate paint job. As far as the yellow/red paint scheme goes, it definately was a bright yellow, although it faded quite quickly. It's the same yellow that BARTA used on their first order of fishbowls. When the were deciding on the paint scheme they had painted #712 red over yellow, and #721 yellow over red to see which way they wanted it. I don't know of any of our drivers at the time who liked it either way! Usually referred to as "clown wagons" or "circus wagons".
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.B.,

You are correct in that Reading never had any 3610's.

The closest they came were eighteen 3612's numbered between 640 and 665.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Old Look 4007

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I saw a TDH 3610 was around 1956 when the Stamford Division of the Connecticut Company received them.

There was no mistaking the sound of a diesel engine passing the house in comparison with the current Yellow Coach 36 series.

Some of the TDH 3610's had screened engine hatches...fleet numbers in the 1100 and 1200 numbers. While others had metal covers rivered OVER the screens.

Contrary to what was published in an old fleet roster I have, there were two Yellows...#s 833 and 846 while listed as gas buses were actually diesels. The engine sound and fumes gave them away as diesels.
These two Yellows also had two small tail lights above each engine screen instead of one large one in a middle.

Trivia but there are some things one never forgets about 'old looks'.
That's what makes buses such fun.
JimmiB

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had myself a little confused about the Reading numbers. Mr. L mentions the buses in the 600 series from 640 and up, but I know I drove a couple with low numbers, 601 through 610. Couldn't find them anywhere in the GM rosters.
Then Old Look 4007's post made me wonder. Were these old enough that they were really Yellow Coach?
Checked the Yellow Coach roster and there they were. These had the GM badge but still carried Yellow's model numbers. Also they were listed as being sold to Atlantic Services, Reading Street Railway. I'm guessing that was a holding company.
So, Reading Bus Co.s 601 through 610 were Yellow Coach PD3206's, delivered 7/45.
Also found under Yellow Coach were Reading's 45 passenger numbers 700 through 717. They were listed as Yellow model TD4007, delivered in 1944 and 1946. Most of these coaches were still in daily service until the transit authority took over in 1973.

Old Look,
I did note that a pair of the TD4007's were listed as gas engines. I remember one retired mechanic telling me that during the war there were times when diesels were not available. He said that Reading had bought a couple with gas engines which they later converted to diesel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> The Bus Modeler All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: