BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie on board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated accordingly; thanks!
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: looks good Reply with quote

I have a book (somewhere) "Reading Transit Trolleys" that has photos or references to

#112 Reading Coach Company new? in 1930 unknown make
#261 Twincoach new? in 1935
#401 unknown make new? in 1945

When I dig it up from storage, I will scan and submit the info to the experts for observation and possible identification. I may not outright post the photos (which are probably halftoned and not great anyway as it was a local production with plastic snap ring binders, etc.) but at least we can figure them out and look for some other leads.

I also know there is at least one or two "Old Look" GMC Reading buses at the RCT&HS in Hamburg, PA and one is a former Rdg Street Railway bus. I know I have pictures - somewhere.
Rob
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: On the number series Reply with quote

I believe some of the "gaps" in the number series may have been assigned to trolleys. My missing book would confirm that. The trolleys ran until 1952 from Reading to Mohnton. Many of the bus routes are the exact routes that the trolley they replaced ran to this day.
This is why the one Spartan "trolley bus" is numbered 1952. All the new BARTA buses obviously have the year built as the first two digits of the fleet number.

Now I'll go dig for that book a couple minutes, 5AM comes around far to fast!

Rob
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Found Book Reply with quote

A minor miracle in itself. Copyrighted 1980 by Ben Rohrbeck Traction Publications in West Chester, PA., written by Robert E. Sauer, Jr. (of Washington, D.C.) with Benson W. Rohrbeck, titled "Reading Transit Trolleys" 181 pages with maps, photos, trolley rosters and some narrative.

I scanned about 6 pages that have views which include busses to jpeg files, however when uploading any of them, I get a server error. I reckon the copyright gods are watching Smile

Perhpas I can email them to one of the experts for review and identification.

Rob
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reading 401 Reply with quote

I think this Reading bus 401 could be an ACF built bus....... It has a big radiator looking grill on the front.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Found Book Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
I scanned about 6 pages that have views which include busses to jpeg files, however when uploading any of them, I get a server error. I reckon the copyright gods are watching Smile

The files are probably too large for the server to handle. You can e-mail the, to me directly at ripta42@yahoo.com and I'll get them up.
lantabusfan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that caught my attention after photographing BARTA for 5 years now is in 2009 BARTA started putting bike racks on they're buses.The only ones that recieved them was the 3 D40LF's and the 03,04 Optima Opuses.Now even though none of the Gillig BRT buses got them prior to 2010 when 1096-1099 showed up I though it looked really stupid and very noticable to the drivers vision being chrome instead of black.The other thing I noticed as being a photographer is that the tire wells on the rack cover the front fleet number since they are like a plate with holes as not to build up water in them.
Photobucket
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reading 401 Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
I think this Reading bus 401 could be an ACF built bus....... It has a big radiator looking grill on the front.

Rob,

If we're talking Reading Bus Company of Reading, Pennsylvania, they had a total of eleven ACF buses in the mid thirties numbered between 400 and 410 with 400 and 410 being Model H-15-S's and 401 to 409 being H-13-S's.

They were slightly smaller versions of what you see in the ad below.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Rob

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reading Bus Company Old Looks in Video Reply with quote

I do not know how to post this video any other way, so I hope you can follow the link. From the web site below you can find and click on the video. It seems Reading was used as an example in a Civil Defense Newsreel and along with some neat scenes around town, a couple busses found their way into the mix.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=307377

Rob
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Maybe this will help - there are a couple of good scenes - thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3005447558877968136#
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: