BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"It Happened One Night" (1934)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: "It Happened One Night" (1934) Reply with quote

For anyone who is a Greyhound fan, or, who just loves vintage highway coaches, then this comedy classic, starring the suave, wise-cracking Clark Gable and the lovely, "gal on the run" Claudette Colbert is a MUST!! On the lam from her millionaire dad, Colbert boards a New York-bound Greyhound at Miiami, along with Gable. It is obvious that a great deal of cooperation with Greyhound was need to make this fim authentic. The sights and sounds of classic, front-engined highway coaches are NOT to be missed! Ward Bond plays one of the drivers, and, as is obvious from his snappy uniform, Greyhound took a GREAT deal of pride in the appearance of thier drivers! Trust me, I've seen this film hundreds of times, and I can readilly recommend it to any Greyhound/bus fan. Plus, it's a really good movie! Happy viewing! Very Happy John
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great film is an understatement. It won Oscars for best picture, best director, best actor, best actress, and best writing adaptation.
There was a musical remake in 1956, called "You Can't Run Away From It",starring Jack Lemon, June Allyson, and the Scenicruiser.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver -

Here we go! I wanted to cite this example to you. The film company had a great amount of cooperation from ATLANTIC GREYHOUND LINES.
Keep in mind, this was just before ICC Regulation of routes! It is an important distinction.

The film implies ATLANTIC held "grandfather authority" when the time came to get an ICC Certificate for interstate moves. Does this film not
imply that ATLANTIC may have served MIAMI directly, as an Interstate "Grandfather" routing? The film suggests the coach (actually, there
were two or more used by the film company) originated MIAMI. Yes, there are scenes of stop at JACKSONVILLE. It does not necessarily imply
one had to change coaches for more distant travel.

BTW. Meaning to get to your comments on the "two coupon" trip, NYC - LAX. It was an AMERICAN thing to do. Might get to that more today...

...........................Vern.................
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your viewing enjoyment!

Let's just say in this case that you're words and I'm music!

BTW; the New York plate is the phoniest I've ever seen!

Regards,

Photos via Image Shack.

Mr. 'L'

traildriver

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
For your viewing enjoyment!

Let's just say in this case that you're words and I'm music!

BTW; the New York plate is the phoniest I've ever seen!

Regards,

Photos via Image Shack.

Mr. 'L'

Thanks Mr. 'L' for those great photo's. I remember there were scenes set at both Miami and Jacksonville with signs directing attention to the "Night Bus To New York".
It may have been implied that Atlantic Greyhound ran all the way between those two points, but I doubt it. They probably pooled with Richmond Greyhound and Pennsylvania Greyhound, as well as at the time non-Greyhound affiliate Florida Motor Lines.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' - traildriver -

The context of it? The film (and the stills from it, here) done sometime in 1933 (see IMDb for various notes).
GREYHOUND knew the publicity value of appearances of its equipment in the movies. Member, ATLANTIC,
pleased to help in this effort (various notes are around on the point).

Most importantly, the film predated ICC regulation, which came with the Motor Carrier Act of 1935. From the
film, it is plain GREYHOUND had set up its procedures for operation of pool coaches over routes using several
Member lines. (The way it did things brought forward in "Pooling Arrangements" provisions in MCA of 1935.)

Also, there were a number of long distance carriers serving Miami, prior to regulation. In any case, the film
suggests the ATLANTIC coach did originate Miami. What the Florida Intrastate issues were, on the Miami -
Jacksonville segment, is the puzzle.

A problem here being: Had ATLANTIC been running into Miami, then why no "grandfather authority" (post 1935)
on MIA - JAX segment?

Unclear how this may fit, but GREYHOUND acquired PAN AMERICAN BUS LINES, which held NYC - Florida Authority.
http://www.digitalforsyth.org/photos/browse/business-industry-businesses-pan-american-bus-lines

.....................Vern.................
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier
The story of Pan American Bus Lines is told here http://www.angelfire.com/80s/joycewiggins/Jon-9.html
if you scroll about half-way down the page.
There's a wealth of other history and photo's on this site as well.
Don't stay up too late, now.... Wink
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver -

PAN AMERICAN? So, we are dealing with "a mess" here? <G> In the Jackson work, the line is not listed in the Index.
He may have overlooked it. IIRC, I thought he had some brief mention within text of one of the Chapters.

It remains unclear to me, precisely what happened prior ICC Regulation, on the JAX - MIA segment. On the new,
YELLOW Coaches (of 1933), somehow odd "MIAMI" displayed on line below windows. To look at it, one would think
the ATLANTIC coaches went thru to MIAMI.

It may have happened. Keep the dates in mind. At the same time, GREYHOUND (System) may have been defining who
was to operate which segments, in "through coach" pooling. That being so, ATLANTIC may have been discouraged in
claim for "Grandfather Authority" on JAX - MIA. In another message here, I had noted few instances of duplicating
authority of more than one GREYHOUND line on a particular pair of points.

There's more to this, surely. I have an E-Mail in to a noted GREYHOUND historian, soliciting his thinking on this vexing JAX - MIA...

........................Vern.....................
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cities painted on the buses in many cases included the primary ones the particular Greyhound or Trailways carrier actually served, but then showed major cities across the country to imply they were part of the national system, even though the bus might never actually see the far off ones....

This study of Pan American brings to mind another carrier that was in business for primarily long haul passengers...
Yelloway System - Pioneer Stages, who bragged about being the first, single company operated coast-to-coast service in the late 1920's. They, along with others like Pickwick Stages eventually were acquired by Greyhound. Then there was All-American, a cut-rate transcontinental company that also went coast-to-coast. Eventually it morphed into American Buslines, a mainstream carrier that became a Trailways member after its purchase of Burlington Trailwaya from the railroad, and was eventually purchased itself by Continental Trailways.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver -

Thanks! Indeed, I was aware of the early YELLOWAY - PIONEER System. PICKWICK? Done that learning curve. It prompts
questions, too. Clearly, in its own name, it should have received "Grandfather Authority" from ICC to serve New York. Within
GREYHOUND discussions must have put a stop to that.

I'll continue to dig for confirmation, one way or the other, whether ATLANTIC ran into MIAMI prior Regulation. The film itself
(noted here) appears a fairly accurate representation of operations. What to make of the hot dog stand, seemingly midway
between MIA and JAX? (TT "Rest Stop"?) (One or two of the publicity "stills" at the site.)

.......................Vern....................
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to "Hollywood", 'poetic license' is liberally used.
Ever seen the comedy, "The Big Bus"? It portrayed an gigantic experimental bus on its 'maiden trip' from New York to Denver. One of many gross inaccuracies was the bus negotiating mountain roads on its approach to Denver. Coming from the East into Denver is as flat as Kansas.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver -

Well, yes, I know that film producers are also skilled sleight of hand artist magicians. "Big Bus" (as well as "Roger Rabbit")
were simply absurdites. The most ignorant think the latter states the N C L issues.

I digress. Here's some key questions about, "It Happened...". The IMDb note report four filming sites in California. (I don't
believe it.) How did, at least, two, new ATLANTIC coaches get to California? That's ridiculous. GREYHOUND would have
provided UP, ESPEE or PICKWICK units.

More. What of the scene at JACKSONVILLE? Are we to believe it was a painfully accurate replica on a Hollywood stage set?
I don't know. Stranger things have happened in movie production.

Then, not to forget contemporary film, "Fugitive Lovers" (1934), and now hard to find, tho it gets occasional run on TCM.
It very much featured PENNSYVLVANIA GREYHOUND, comparable YELLOW COACH product.

"It Happened..." still baffles me on specific production issues. I see "Mr L" has some reasonable problems with accuracy of
the NEW YORK plate. Yet, had the AGL coaches been in California, surely someone would have overlooked removal of a
required, California sticker in the windshield?

.....................Vern.....................
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier-
I agree with your assessment. It is highly unlikely that Atlantic sent buses to Hollwood for the production. Surely they would have used Pacific Greyhound equipment.
The answer might be a combination. Filmakers (especially lower budget televison shows), will often send film crews to locations like New York City, for scene shots, but will do the lion's share of the production on the sound stage.
As for "It Happened One Night", there was a scene where Clark Gable's character was in a jalopy, stuck at a grade crossing waiting for a freight train to pass, as he waved to several hoboes ridin' the rails. I cannot recall for sure, but I thought it was a Southern Pacific locomotive....
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver -

You recall the "Clark Gable at the Grade Crossing" scene, too? YES! YES! Absolutely reported BIG FRIENDLY ESPEE
in a Land Faraway. As a practical matter, likely it was "up the street" from one of the filming sites (noted in IMDb).

I'm on board with your noting the practice of sending film crews "on the road" to get locale shots. In some of the road
scenes, looks much like the Spartan old roads of the East, and we don't see the "giveaway" (it wasn't done here!) of
high mountains, or desert like terrain in background.

BTW, and on a misc. note. Present day TV, NCIS does this all quite well. The plot lines have us believe it is largely
based at NAVY YARD, Washington, with many in field investigations into NORFOLK NAVY. Such is not actually the case.
Most all of it filmed in LAX, Long Beach and San Diego.

........................Vern...................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: