BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'SCHENCK TRANSPORTATION # 531'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: 'SCHENCK TRANSPORTATION # 531' Reply with quote

The caption at the top of the image explains pretty much everything but I can add a couple of comments anyway about this Floral Park, New York based company;

# 531 was one of seven (529, 530 and 531 as well as 420, 421, 422 and 423) 5302's purchased by the company new in March of 1961.

These buses were quite versatile being used for both transit and charter assignments when needed.

Note the Tachograph unit at the dashboard.

While Schenck's transit operations were turned over to the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority in 1973, their tour division continued thereafter.

Photo by Daniel Marra.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

frankie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember well when Shea Stadium had Mineola night back in the summer of 1963. The village chartered 5 Schenck new looks to get us there and back. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of them.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

In addition to the seven 1961 TDH 5302's that I mention above, Schenck bought a total of 18 others during 1960 and 1962.

They also bought 10 of the SDM 5302's between 1963 and 1967 with one seen standing behind the PD 4106 pictured below.

These were true single door suburbans with high back seats and parcel racks but with no standee glasses.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
I remember well when Shea Stadium had Mineola night back in the summer of 1963. The village chartered 5 Schenck new looks to get us there and back. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of them.

Frankie

Yo Frankie: Don't be offended when I say that our brains play tricks on us as we age. Your brain has the years mixed up.......The Mets were formed in
1962 and played their first two years at the Polo Grounds in Upper Manhattan. Shea Stadium didn't open until 1964.

Hart Bus
frankie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Frankie: Don't be offended when I say that our brains play tricks on us as we age. Your brain has the years mixed up.......The Mets were formed in
1962 and played their first two years at the Polo Grounds in Upper Manhattan. Shea Stadium didn't open until 1964. Hart Bus

.....and now for the rest of the story! Five bus loads of us were the only ones sitting in the stadium and it wasn't until an hour later that we realized that there was no game!

Just kidding and my apologies to the last Paul Harvey! You're right Hart Bus - it was '64 when Shea opened. So, it probably was '64 when they had Mineola night. I do remember that it was before I attended college and that didn't happen until the Fall of '64. What I do know was that the Mets lost.

Mr "L": You jogged my memory regarding the suburbans. I forgot that Schenck had them. However, the one I was on was definitely a transit. When riding any bus, I love looking out the front window and will grab an empty seat as close to the front as possible. My seat next to the front door was facing the aisle.

Frankie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: