BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverse gear problems with 1976 GMC bus (Model T6H4523N)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serious whistler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reverse gear problems with 1976 GMC bus (Model T6H4523N) Reply with quote

Hello,

This forum has been very helpful to me before especially Bill D. and GBL Rebel, thank you all. Now I have another problem.

I have 1976 GMC bus (Model T6H4523N).

It used to be Medford, OR city bus and that is where I got it. I drove it to Asheville, NC then to Jackson, TN where it had problems raising up, you guys helped me to fix it, I drove it back to Asheville and all was good, until...
Friends of mine needed a bus for a Santacon festival (search for it if you need more info) in any case I let them have it and after a night of party and about 120 drunk Santas on the bus air bags exploded. OK no problems I had it fixed. No problems, good times of 120 Santas is more important than blown airbags and $450.00 repair. But now there is another problem which in no way connected to Santas and actually there were signs of it when I first bought the bus.

The problem is: The bus does not engage very well in reverse gear!

It used be that as long as pressure is over 100-110 no problems with that, but now even if pressure is 120 I would consider myself lucky if my bus decides to go into reverse gear. I have wait a long while and preferably drive forward for a while (so I always park with that in mind), but now I'm afraid that the problem is getting worse. I had to move the bus and kind folks from Loyal Order of Moose let me park it of their property and I drove it from previous location (was parked so I can go forward) and parked it an Moose Lodge and then tried the reverse and nothing. So I'm afraid that when it is time to take it on the road (which will be soon) there will no reverse at all.

Does anyone know why I'm having problems with my reverse?
What can I do to fix it?
Where do I start?

Thank you in advance.

Have a great spring day!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. W.,

I can't even begin to tell you what's causing your problem but it sounds like it might be up either Bill D's or GBL's alley.

What I can tell you is that it's 'shades' of the same problem we used to have with the GM 4506's and 4507's back when.

Fortunately, things were far simpler in those days and by merely disconnecting the neutral safety switch we could actually start the bus in reverse (dangerous, but necessary!).

I'd say to try that but it probably won't work on buses of the 70's because. by then, things became far more complicated.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
MOVIEBUSES

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reverse problems Reply with quote

Remove the pin from the shifter linkage on the side of the transmission and put it into reverse manually with the engine off. Start the bus up and see if it moves. If it does you have a linkage adjustment problem at the very least. If its in reverse by hand and nothing connected and it still has problems then you have a clutch or fuid problem in reverse which would also be first gear as its fluid driven. I have owned and still own many Fishbowls. Please take my advice and remove the pin and put it in reverse by hand and start it. I think you will find your problem is in the adjustment. Email me at regtransit@aol.com if you have any questions or need pictures. Its very simple to do and you probably wont even get dirty.
serious whistler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies, I was not able to test it yet b/c there is another problem now.
Bus starts right up but there absolutely no air build up. It seems that the air is in all tanks and air line but the air pressure is minimal (like 2-5 PSI)

I took off the main air line from compressor and it feels like like that that it barely pumping air. So possibly it is air compressor? If it is I do not have the money to replace it.

I would like to move the bus to its final resting place on my property and turn it into a room, but I have to drive it there and I can not without air, so I was thinking hooking up portable air compressor to the main line and my question is:

Where do I hook up portable air compressor so I can least feel it up with air and drive to my property? Is it possible to do?

I do not want to junk the bus as I always had plans to turn it into room, so any help would be very appreciated.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.W.,

Sounds to me like this may be a job for 'Super Tow'!

You have to figure as to whether the end justifies the means;

If it is a relatively short distance from where the bus is now to where it will forever rest, towing would probably outweigh the trouble of trying to alter the air system.

I also think the experts would tell you that jury rigging a temporary compressor could be a dangerous solution if it works at all.

Good luck,

Mr. 'L'
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
S. W.,

I can't even begin to tell you what's causing your problem but it sounds like it might be up either Bill D's or GBL's alley.

What I can tell you is that it's 'shades' of the same problem we used to have with the GM 4506's and 4507's back when.

Fortunately, things were far simpler in those days and by merely disconnecting the neutral safety switch we could actually start the bus in reverse (dangerous, but necessary!).

I'd say to try that but it probably won't work on buses of the 70's because. by then, things became far more complicated.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Reading Bus had one route (West Lawn) that actually required backing around a corner at the end of the line. Usually accomplished by shutting it down, then starting it in reverse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: