BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'ANOTHER GM EXPERIMENT'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: 'ANOTHER GM EXPERIMENT' Reply with quote

General Motors has had its share of experiments that just didn't quite make it and pictured below is no exception!

Parked at the Chicagoland Hostorical Bus Museum, we see a 1964 TDH (and, in this case, the 'D' stands for Toro Flow Truck Diesel) 3501 straight out of GM Enginering where the plan for power was originally to be an experimental turbine engine.

For whatever the reason, the idea was scrapped and, as an afterthought (or just a little playing around) a reasonable facsimile of a New Look front clip was added.

The bus was never sold commercially and, to my knowledge, still remains in preservation.

Photo by Trevor Logan Jr.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

frankie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr. L! I just discovered this forum - I definitely need to broaden my horizons.

Here's another view of the same bus! If the seams get any more corroded, it look like the new look section will break and hinge off from the bottom like a clamshell!

Frankie

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,

If you've just discovered this thread, you're going to spend a good deal of your time thumbing through the pages of 'Bus Nostalgia'!

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ahead of you Mr. L! I spent 2 hours today thumbing through it. I plan on going back when time permits and read the articles I missed!

I also spend time on the Long Island and Westchester bus forum since I'm particularly interested with the private bus companies before the MTA takeover - especially Hempstead and Schenck buses. I rode these often when I lived in Mineola.

Frankie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: